Gamertags that have been inactive for a considerable amount of time should be issued a default gamertag so others can obtain these gamertags.

Many gamertags are currently inactive, and have been so for upmost of 4 years. 
Currently there is no way to obtain these gamertags, and my understanding is that this is due to gamertags being the primary identifier for account investigations. 
I propose that these accounts should be able to be converted into a default Xbox Live gamertag upon individual request, and the gamertag become available to those who seek them. 
As a community we understand that the changing of gamertags is not as easy as it appears, and currently warrants a reasonable fee. 
It would not be unreasonable for us to have to pay for this change, and I'm sure we would all be inclined to do so if given the opportunity.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 20 Applies to:

Hi there,

There have been many threads about inactive gamertags. The problem is that some of them aren't just used for Xbox Live, but Zune as well.

A few years ago, there was an inactive gamertag refresh. However, it hasn't happened since because it would have been quite hard, and also some of the gamertags are parked and unused by various people who don't use the gamertags, but only wanted to register them so that nobody else could have them.

Just because someone hasn't logged in for a few years doesn't mean they won't come back and want to log in with their gamertag. It is unlikely that inactive gamertags will be refreshed any time soon.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.