gamertags & xbox accounts

Hi

I created a Live account, using my existing hotmail address, so that my son could play Dirt 2 on our home PC (you can't save your progress without it...) Since then we have acquired a 360 and created an account for each member of the family. I decided to try and connect it to my Live account but got the message "gamertag already registered to this account" or somesuch.

I looked around all the account management & help stuff I could find and didn't spot any option to close the xbox bit of my Live ID (hoping that I could then reassign it from my profile on the xbox). Whilst searching around I spotted an article on how to switch gamertags associated with a profile and so created a new tag with a different email address (this one!) but got the same error message as before...

OK, so my question is, can I remove the gamertag from a Live ID or is there a way of merging gamertags or any other way I haven't thought of to resolve my problem? 

Cheers

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 22 Applies to:

There's no way to merge gamertags and once a tag has been created there's no way to completely remove it from the service. You can use the recovery tool in order to be able to use the gamertag from the PC on the Xbox. You can find instructions on how to do that here - support.xbox.com/.../gamer-profile

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Smwutches

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.