Gamertag Trouble! HELP

Hi, i just got my Xbox live Yesturday (woot) and i got a default gamertag that really sucks, So i went to change it as it says you get one free change, and everytime i try to change it on my xbox it says "xbox live currently unavaible" . So i tried it on my laptop by signing in, and now it says right away "an error has accured" Someone help please, has this happened to you?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

First off, Welcome to Xbox!

-

Hopefully I can help you.....    Try deleting your profile and downloading it again. At the Xbox 360 dashboard navigate to the settings hub. Then "System". After that, find "Memory". Under the Gamer Profiles section you should find yours. Delete that but make sure you push A on "Profile Only"!!!  *DO NOT* push A on "Profile and items".  

-

Then go back to the main screen of the Xbox 360 dashboard. Push the guide button (sliver button on your controller). Then press A on "Download Profile". Enter in the email and password you used to sign your account up with.

-

After it as downloaded again try to change your Gamertag again. Hopefully that will fix your issue. If not, I have more suggestions. Keep me posted!!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

ok, im starting from scratch and trying to change the default gamertag is a nightmare either on the console or by pc, it constantly comes up saying error occoured, or xbox live cant be reached, which makes no sense as i can download games just not a new gamertag.

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't ever delete your email associated with your gamer tag or u will end up spending countless hrs trying to fix it!

Sorry this didn't help.

Over and over again I have tried to fix my GAMERTAG issue!  My deleted email for my GAMERTAG had been deleted for a while, but I was still able to sign on.  Now I cannot use my GAMERTAG thanks to the new updates.  Thank you xbox for blocking me out of my own xbox!  I have played by the rules and watched as you stole money from me every month for almost a year through Xbox music that I assume my child signed up for by accident.  Over and over again you have tried to help, but have yet to help.  This new update has locked me out and will not let me back in!  I will be checking the by laws to see if I can sue you for hardship based on every xbox owner who has had this same issue and wasted many hours trying to resolve the issue!  

Sorry this didn't help.