Gamertag taken but it isn't?

I was thinking of new gamertags and then i thought of a great one and checked if it was available on 2 websites and they insisted it's available. but when i tried to change to that gamertag xbox live said the gamertag is taken. not being too sure what to believe, i tried to send a message to that gamertag and xbox live says that no account under that gamertag exists.
 WHAT!?!?
I'm wondering if the gamertag comes under any copyright laws (because it's pretty famous) because it isn't rude and i can't think why else it wouldn't allow me to take it.
Anyone know what's going on?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 220 Applies to:

If the system says it's in use, then it is somewhere on Microsoft's servers and can't be used. Tags are used on other Microsoft services as well. So even if they don't show up as an Xbox gamertag, they might be in use on another service and wouldn't show up if you tried to send them a friend request. The person who is using it might also have different spaces in it. The system sees "GamerTag" as the same thing as "Gamer Tag" So if you look up one and not the other, it might not show it to you, but it's still in use.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.