Gamertag system is a failure.

The xbox live gamertag system is the WORST I've ever seen for 3 simply reasons:

- You cannot use symbols like underscores, points etc.

-You cannot create tags already used by Zune, Microsoft Games and all the other bullsheep that have nothing to do with xbox live.

-This world is plenty of yoinking yoink who create original gamertags that will never be used. Since Microsoft knows that, why the hell do we have to wait 7 years of non-activity to reclaim them? It's a ridiculous amount of time. I mean in 7 years I'll probably get married!

Because of these reasons the only way to get the gamertag you want is to put yoinking random numbers or letters somewhere in your name just like that

xXM45T3RxCH13FXx, Ninja2031452096.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 69 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My only issue is I can't get it shows my Xbox One game history and I've checked the privacy settings multiple times. I created the account when I got Windows 8 but just recently bought an Xbox One. I'm using the same account and my gamer score is going up but it doesn't show the Xbox One activity or my avatar that I made using the Xbox One.

The tag is shared among other things, like games on the PC, so they can't allow dupes. They do contribute to your score (maybe not Zune). I don't know why they don't allow underscores, hyphens, etc though.

The did attempt to release inactive gamertags but it was shortly stopped due abusers taking them up and selling them. Symbols could be abused for inappropriate use.

There is no time limit on wether a gamertag will be released or not so not sure where you got the 7 years thing from.

Like FoomBerry said,last time they released a bunch of tags it was abused so can't see it happening again any time soon.

Out of curiosity, how many gamertag systems have you seen?

what gamertag did you want so badly that you created this thread?

The point is not what gamertag I want. I do not pretend to find the desired gamertag at the first attempt, that's obvious.

The point is that every single gamertag I tryed to create (10 or more) was already taken but not used!

Let's suppose that a player creates an account with an original gamertag without the purpose to just "steal" it. If this player will never use it online, do you really think he cares about the gt?

I think that after 1 or 2 years of completely inactivity gamertags should be re-released.

[quote user="DebonairHalo"]I mean in 7 years I'll probably get married![/quote]

This is relevant, how? 

[quote user="DebonairHalo"]I think that after 1 or 2 years of completely inactivity gamertags should be re-released.[/quote]

Did you actually read the response you were given, stating why they are released?

Ok I can understand that gamertags can be sold and this is against rules you are right.

Anyways I still don't understand why we can't use symbols.

Symbols could be abused for inappropriate use just like letters and numbers.

A stupid example could be the use of the number 8 followed by some Is and a D.

Then we should ban the number 8 and the letters i and d from gamertags.

Isn't more clever to ban the offensive combinations of numbers and letters? Yes, and this is how the gamertag system actually works.

Why can't we just do that for symbols too?

I don't want to argue with you, I'm just proposing and trying to discuss.

I don't think I've seen a website that has permitted symbols before. Maybe its due to the coding or something. *Not 200% certain*

Foom, you may be on to something.  I work (mostly) with Unix/Linux for work all day.  I could only imagine if someone named themselves "cd/ rm -r *"     lol