Gamertag stuck in limbo, what should I do?

1) I logged into my xbox live account on the xbox live website
2) I went ahead and updated the email associated with my gamertag with a new email
3) Everything looks good so I logged off
4) A few hours later after gaming a few hours on my xbox, I went to my dashboard and was told I got disconnected from
xbox live and need to log in.
5) I did with my new email and password and it says invalid email and password, so I tried with my old email and password
and still no go.
6) So I went back online to the xbox live website to see what is going on and if all this has to do with me updating
my email associated with my gamertag
7) I logged in with my new email and instead of the usual webpage with my gamertag and all the info in it, it is a brand
new page with a randomly generated gamertag.
8) I thought wtf, so I logged off and tried to log in with my old email, and it said this microsoft account doesn't exist,
enter a different email or create a new account...again wtf. So I tried creating a new account with my old email and
it said that email is already registered...If its registered then why would it say it doesn't exist!?
9) So it seems like my Gamertag along with my old email is stuck in limbo
10) Next time I probably shoulda just update my email via my xbox console instead of via the xbox live website,
but in the mean time, what do I gotta do to get my Gamertag/account back?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

You changed the CONTACT e-mail, not the login e-mail.  The LOGIN e-mail can only be changed on the console.  That being said it sounds like something broke on your account so you'll need to contact support.  Most likely you won't get the account back for a while, so be prepared for bad news.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey stable,

Really sorry to hear you're having issues with your account.

Giblet is correct, you'll really want to get in touch with your local Phone Support for assistance with this. They'll be best equipped to look into your account with you and work on getting things sorted out. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.