Gamertag problem

Hi everyone,

I just got my XBox, so if this is a stupid question I apologize in advance :P

I created my profile, with my preferred gamertag "Name"

I then signed up for XBox live, and it changed my gamertag to "AlternateName"

When I try to change it back, it says that I can't use "name" gamertag, however when I try to find out if it is in use I get the following error:

"Your request could not be completed at this time. This gamertag is not valid."
Now I may have created this profile on a friend's XBox, but I don't think it was as an Xbox Live account.  "Name" is quite unique so I doubt anyone else has it...
At any rate, is there any way that I can use this gamertag that I want?  Is it already in use?
Any help is appreciated :)

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I meant to be.

I put "name" as a generic placeholder.  The actual gamertag I'm trying to sign up with is "EvilDH" which I use for most of my online stuff, being pretty unique I've never seen it used anywhere else.

But when I try to find that profile, it comes up with the error I posted above.  Is there any reason why it wouldn't let me use if it doesn't appear to be in use?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="ManifoldPack1"]The actual gamertag I'm trying to sign up with is "EvilDH"[/quote]That name is taken too.  http://live.xbox.com/en-AU/MyXbox/Profile?Gamertag=Evil%20DH

You may notice that the gamertag I showed was "Evil<space>DH", while the name you were after was "EvilDH" (no space).  Xbox Live does not recognize the difference in the two, and considers them both to be the same thing.

Sorry this didn't help.

I Have a question , I have had the gamertag " nX ReMeDy " but before that i had the Gamertag " ReMeDy o " i want to change my gamertag back to the name but someone as it already. But that person does not play on the account at all, and there is a few more gamertags like that and i want to change it. But people have the names and do not play on it at all. I would like to know if theres a way i can get it ...

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="nX ReMeDy"]

I Have a question , I have had the gamertag " nX ReMeDy " but before that i had the Gamertag " ReMeDy o " i want to change my gamertag back to the name but someone as it already. But that person does not play on the account at all, and there is a few more gamertags like that and i want to change it. But people have the names and do not play on it at all. I would like to know if theres a way i can get it ...

[/quote]

No, there is no way to get it. Some of them might have been taken up on other Microsoft sevices such as Zune.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="nX ReMeDy"]I Have a question , I have had the gamertag " nX ReMeDy " but before that i had the Gamertag " ReMeDy o " i want to change my gamertag back to the name but someone as it already. But that person does not play on the account at all, and there is a few more gamertags like that and i want to change it. But people have the names and do not play on it at all. I would like to know if theres a way i can get it ...[/quote]That gamertag was last online about a week ago, playing CoD: Black Ops.  I don't that's "not playing on the account at all".

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Zen Like Calm

Hmm I hadn't considered looking for Evil<space>DH... That's disappointing but I suppose nothing can be done

Thanks for your help

Sorry this didn't help.