Gamertag Problem

[Mod Removed] Reference Number. Today I went to play Xbox and it Said that my Gamertag was changed, it didnt give any reason as to why it was changed but it was. Later after talking to a support member I found out it was deemed as inapropriate. My gamertag was [Mod Removed] I understand it isnt the most appropriate name out there but it was just a joke between me and a friend because he has basically the same name only spelled different. What I dont understand is that if you look at other names, there are plenty of other names worse than what mine was. I dont care that i have to change my name but i feel that i should not have to pay for something that Xbox is making me do.

Mod Edit: Please do not post reference numbers on the forums. Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

The reference number is useless on the boards and it's for phone/chat support use only really.

But if it was deemed inappropriate then it should of popped up giving you the option to change it for free. If not I would try online and try and change it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

yea i can see why it was given the name change it is against the rules you can defend it all you want but it was a valid name change for it sorry.

Sorry this didn't help.

Per the Code of Conduct :

C. Communications & User Created Content

• Do not create a Gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by.  This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of:
  • Profane words/phrases
  • Topics or content of a sexual nature

Hope this clarifies why the action was taken. Also, please make sure not to post personal information (your name, address, e-mail, reference numbers, etc.). Thank you,

Sorry this didn't help.

It looks like no one has addressed your last comment. Is the system trying to charge you for the forced name change? If that is the case, that's definitely not right.

~

Normally, if you get a FNC the system will bring up a prompt that prevents you from connecting to live until the name has been changed.

~

Based on your current tag, it's possible that policy was changed to automatically assign you a new name but if that's the case it's a bad idea. I've seen the XBLPET reverse a FNC because it was some random name like "Dorothy" (not the specific one, but I can't remember what it was).

~

So, I guess my question is, is it bringing up the prompt to change your name or did it force your name to a randomly generated tag?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Raett"]

It looks like no one has addressed your last comment. Is the system trying to charge you for the forced name change? If that is the case, that's definitely not right.

~

Normally, if you get a FNC the system will bring up a prompt that prevents you from connecting to live until the name has been changed.

~

Based on your current tag, it's possible that policy was changed to automatically assign you a new name but if that's the case it's a bad idea. I've seen the XBLPET reverse a FNC because it was some random name like "Dorothy" (not the specific one, but I can't remember what it was).

~

So, I guess my question is, is it bringing up the prompt to change your name or did it force your name to a randomly generated tag?

[/quote]

The new system appears to be it forces the gamertag to change to an automatically generated one. This stops free changes to further offensive gamertags.

Sorry this didn't help.