Gamertag Problem

I just signed up for a Gold Account on 01/04/12, and I was given the gamertag "dopegrl77". The only account I have with this name is a really old yahoo email address and ebay. It stated that I had up to 30 days to change my name for free, but since this name is somehow associated with my hotmail account I'm stuck with it unless I pay $8. I don't understand why everyone other than hotmail users have the opportunity to change their gamertag for free, and yet I do not...I chose this as an ebay name for my favorite band "Dope", but I constantly receive harassing messages from other players because they either assume that I do drugs or they're offended in some way. I'm getting really sick of it, and feel this is extremely unfair in the first place. I have sent numerous emails and called the support number twice, but nobody seems to be able to help me. I was told that if I created a totally different account and deleted the one I've been working on that I should be able to change my gamertag for free...seems kind of ridiculous that I would have to go through all of that just to get the free change that I should've had when I signed up the first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hey there Grl! The free name change is only for brand new accounts if you are given a random GT (like UnrulyPanda04). Current GTs or chosen GTs do not qualify. Otherwise, the 800 MSP charge will apply for all GT changes. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.