Gamertag online different from gamertag on console

By way of background, joined xbox live about a month ago and the game generated a gamertag for me.  Yesterday, my husband signed up for xbox live gold family under my account.  Went online trying to figure out how to add the kids when I saw a box that said I could change the gamer tag...so I did, not realizing that it was a one time deal.  Gaming console still showing the original gamertag and never updated...as a result cannot log into my profile at all and unable to get any family members on the account since I'm the primary.   I thought simple solution would be to go back online and change back to original gamer tag, but not letting me do that either without charging me?

So, question...how do I get the gaming console to update to the new gamertag?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Try signing out the account and have it signed back again. If this does not update the gamertag have the account deleted on the console and redownload it on the console. I am guessing your profile has been corrupted si removing it from the storage device and downloading again would update the gamertag.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there!  Official Support here. :) I wanted to add to what Onin said- you won't need to delete it to redownload.  You can just head into the Sign In screen (where you see all the little avatars) and scroll all the way to the right to the Download Profile option.  It'll have you sign in using your email and password, and that will update the GT automatically.  Please let us know if you need any more help and welcome to LIVE :D

Sorry this didn't help.

Doing a test connection on the internet can synch it up too.

Sorry this didn't help.