Gamertag linked to old now non-existant email, password not retrievable.

Got my 360 when it hit the stores, long before gamertags were linked to LiveID's. I put in an e-mail address back then that is no longer in use. Hasn't been in use for over three years, even the host is no longer there, and though I still know the address I cannot ever hope to recover the password.

I cannot change the LiveID because you need the password from the old "LiveID". I'm stuck with an old e-mail and only thing left is setting up a new gamertag but the problem is that you thereby essentially dump the old gamertag and thereby all achievements and DLC. Though I could still deal with losing the achievements(after months of therapy) losing all my DLC which I've spend quite a great deal of cash on is unacceptable and I'd simply want my gamertag set up with a working e-mail address.

My gamertag works for now but I can only imagine the trouble if I'd ever decide to move to a new console, be part of social groups or want anything else changed. I had to create a LiveID just to post here...

I already called support and the problem is that they cannot change anything associated with my gamertag so change of e-mail, even though I can verify that I am the owner, isn't possible. Very frustrating!

That's why I'm posting it on here; just getting the word out. I hear many stories of people having old email accounts attached to their gamertag who are stuck also. Is there absolutely no way to do anything about this? Is this already being looked into?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

I am currently having the same issue.  I have a gamertag that is tied to a closed Live ID, and there is no payment method or security question that was set up on the old account so Xbox Live support cannot verify my identity.  Right now, I am making an inquiry at www.windowslivehelp.com to see about any alternatives to verifying my identity so I can get my old gamertag transferred to my new Live ID.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Call up phone support.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am currently having the exact same problem.  My xbox disc drive broke, I bought a new xbox and cannot retrieve my gamer tag.  The original email I have associated to my account no longer exists.  It was a carry over from my original XBOX account from 2001.  I've tried everything including support by telephone.  I got a manager on the phone and he said it was unlikely I would ever be able to get access to my purchases, DLC's, etc.  That it was my fault since I didn't update my information.  I feel like I've been totally screwed over.  I've been a loyal xbox player since the original.  I must have purchased over 500 games and spent a ton on music for Rockband, maps, etc...  It's hard to believe this company can have such a faulty system in place.  I'm not sure if I feel better that I'm not the only one, but maybe they will see this and do something.  I've gone from the biggest Xbox fan, to an extremely displeased customer overnight.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Spank, I'm sorry to hear about the account issue! However, since this thread is over 9 months old, I'd like to start fresh on your issue; can you please create a new thread in this forum with a full description of your issue, along with what you've tried? :-)

Sorry this didn't help.