Gamertag issue - no spaces?

So my account was hacked, long story short, I got it back. XBox did their investigation, I got my account recovered, and proceeded to put everything back to normal. When attempting to change my gamertag back to the old one, I was unable to, XBox support informed me I would have to change it a little or just pick a new one...whatever. Anyways, I am finding all the suggestions for new ones contain no spaces, and that any Gamertag with a space returns the message "That gamertag is already in use." ANY gamertag I try. When trying the exact same spelling but with no spaces, it works no problem. Are we unable to put spaces in our gamertags anymore? I attempted to find that answer in numerous other places, so please don't respond with "Yeah you moron, that's old news." I just want to know if anyone els has this problem, otherwise it's another call to XBox support...oh goodie. :P

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 433 Applies to:

Spaces are still allowed. It's just that the system doesn't recognize the difference so even if you were to add a space to a gamertag, if it's in use as a tag without a space the system will tell you it's in use.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, my old gamertag had a space, and it won't let me have any variation of it, but when i try to get my old gamertag with no space in between, it lets me have it...

Sorry this didn't help.

I contacted an XBox support rep and he told me that spaces are allowed and ARE recognized by their system. Which is why I was able to create my old gamertag without a space, because it recognizes it as a different gamertag. He told me that it takes 45 days for old gamertags to be deleted when they are changed before they are available again. And that will cause the system to tell you it's in use. Thanks for the suggestion though Smwutches, it led me to my answer :)

Sorry this didn't help.

No problem. Thanks for that bit of information too.

Sorry this didn't help.