Gamertag Fairness

I have been wanting to change my Gamertag to one that is currently unavaliable. I understand most concerns are because someone is currently using it. But this is different. The gamertag owned that I have been wanting, has not been active for over a DECADE. I know its fair to let the owner keep its account, for as long as they wish, but this is outragious. Its taking up spots, as if someone wants my gamertag (Not that anyone would), but slowly the chain is breaking. Please Xbox! Help me get this Gamertag!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Unfortunately no one can really reset a gamertag for you, this hasn't been done for anyone and they aren't going to start doing it now. They have these times (it's announced usually by Major Nelson on his Twitter and his blog @MajorNelson as well as MajorNelson.com) when they are doing gamertag resets so people know that the gamertags they want that weren't in use will be free once again. They only do this once in awhile and it's very few gamertags (a few thousand maybe) that get reset back to being available. You just have to wait, it's quite possible that the gamertag you want is actually being used not on XBOX Live but via a Windows Live service where the person is using the e-mail address to keep it active like using their e-mail etc. Windows Live is a service that has multiple platforms, it's not just XBOX Live, so it's possible this person is keeping their account active that way. But either way you'd have to wait out.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.