Gamertag Confusion!

Hey, i've been wanting to change my gamertag for a while, so i have a friend round at my house and we have 2 xboxes and 2 screens. My friend types in the desired gamertag on xbox 2, it says it is available for changing. He doesn't go ahead with the change so on my xbox, xbox 1, i type in the exact gamertag he typed in and it is taken. Later, he wants to try a new gamertag, but the gamertag is only available on by xbox and not his, so currently we are only allowed eachothers desired gamertags, what is happening? :)

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

There are various reasons for a gamertag being unavailable.  They could be already a Zune or Games for Windows Live tag.  They could be taken in a different configuration (letter spacing, lower or upper case letters). 

Basically, for whatever reason, that name will not be made available to you, so you should chose something else.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="Rocheeey"]My friend types in the desired gamertag on xbox 2, it says it is available for changing. He doesn't go ahead with the change so on my xbox, xbox 1, i type in the exact gamertag he typed in and it is taken.[/quote]

It's likely that the system is "reserving" the gamertag for Xbox 2 for a short period, so nobody else grabs it while that transaction is in progress.

Why are you doing it that way? Just try to change your gamertag to the one you want; no need to complicate it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.