Gamertag Changing

Well I went to go change my gamertag today and was a little upset that the name I wanted had already been taken.(PhatBoyFresh) I looked up the gamertag and tried sending it a friend request just for....well I guess because I was bored. According the xbox live, the gamertag does not exist. If that's the case, how come I am unable to change my name to it? Do accounts get deleted if they're not used in a long time? That would at least half explain why I can't use it.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 33 Applies to:

Also, be aware that Microsoft also has several other online services (eg. GFWL, Zune, etc) as well as internal programs.  That tag could also be in use for any of those services as well.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

and spaces do not make a name any different it can alsop be used for games for windows live so "phat boy fresh" wouldn't be available as it would be the same as phatboyfresh

and friend requests don't reach zune accounts

just be creative with your name

Sorry this didn't help.

Phat boY FRESH is an active gamertag. http://live.xbox.com/en-AU/Profile?Gamertag=Phat%20Boy%20Fresh 

Read this from the sticky thread:

[quote]

I can't change my Gamertag (GT).
Most of the time if you are seeing a message saying the GT you want is unavailable, it’s true. One thing to remember is that spaces and capitalization don’t make your GT unique. For example, “Major Nelson”, “MajorNelson”, and “MaJoRnElSoN” are all the same GT.

GTs are also tied to services like Zune or Games for Windows LIVE. If a GT doesn't exist on Xbox, it might be in use on one of those services. If you try sending the GT you want a friend request and it says it’s not a valid GT that just means it isn’t used on Xbox LIVE, but it could be used for Zune or GFWL.

I heard old GTs are being re-added. When will "This GT" be available?
There is no schedule or estimated dates for when certain GTs will become available again. GTs are not an on-demand service. They will be available when they are available. 

[/quote] http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/12/t/153151.aspx#gt

Sorry this didn't help.

Gamertags do get released back into the system to uised again if they are inactive or have been changed on an account. But there is not specific timing for this, you would just have to wait for it to be free.

More than likely whats happened with this GT you want is that it was someones GT and they changed it, meaning it hasnt been released back into the system yet unfortunately. Either than or it could be a Zune tag, if thats the case then it wouldnt be available on Xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.