Gamertag changed without notice and being asked to pay for the name change

Hi everyone, 

My concern stems from what happened this morning.  I turned on my XBOX ONE to play Titanfall when I realized my Kinect was not signing me in automatically.  After I noticed this I checked my profile window and realized my gamertag was not was it was previously.  I jumped on customer support XBOX and chatted up the complaint to someone and apparently my gamertag was not up to what Microsoft sought as usable.  Upon accepting this news I was quick to create a new gamertag.  Upon finalizing the change I was directed to purchasing prompt that reminded me that I would be charged 9.99 for the change.  WHAT!?!? First off I was never asked or confronted on the gamertag that I've had since DAY ONE of purchasing an XBOX ONE until now- AND I'm being told I need to pay for the name change?  This is wrong and I should be able to at least get one free name change considering the circumstances.  Any thoughts?

Max (previously [Mod Removed]

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 22 Applies to:

Your previous gamertag violated the Code of Conduct, that is why you were given a forced name change. Previously the XBLPET would notify you that your name was a violation of the CoC and allow you to change it to whatever you liked, however alot of folks took advantage of that policy and it recently changed. The only option you have is to pay for a name change or keep the new GT.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I understand but my concern is why did it take four months for whoever monitors these policies to change my gamer name?  It was all of a sudden and now I have to pay to change my name? That's not shaking me the right way.  

I never feel the need for any type of entitlement but in this instance where it was the opposite party who overlooked my names for months and just now found the need to change my name to some horrible gamer tag name.  I will continue to press this one particular issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

It probably took that long for someone to file a complaint on your name. There have been people who were able to have inappropriate tags for years because people didn't file a complaint on them.

Sorry this didn't help.