Gamertag change

Hello! I have just spoken with someone in xbox help chat, and they prompted me to contact you. As a brand new xbox user, I was unaware that a gamertag was public, and therefore used my name as my tag. The help individual I spoke with told me that I could get my gamertag changed without a fee based on this. Knowing now that others can see this, I think it would be safer to change it to be a bit more private. I apologize if this is any inconvenience, I just want to be sure I'm using this platform safely. 

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 218 Applies to:

Sarah,

Unfortunately the folks at the support chat were incorrect. The only time a gamertag can be changed is once for free within 30 days of creating the account, when an enforcement team forces the change, or when the user pays the fee to change it. The only time enforcement will force the change is when it violates the Code of Conduct. Unfortunately, it is not a violation if you use YOUR name or share it as the CoC just recommends discretion doing so. It is a violation to share someone else's name though. So unless this policy has changed you will need to pay the fee to make the change. Sorry I could not provide better news.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

^ who says the OP created their account more than 30 days ago? They can change their tag via the console.

Sorry this didn't help.

After 30 days, the free change is null and void and the only option is paying to change the gamertag. They can change the gamertag via the console but if they have already exhausted their one free change it will cost the fee to change it again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Beyond frustrated to be told different things by chat support and form support, especially after the money invested with confidence in this new system. Surely Xbox understand that the system is not the most user friendly for individuals who have never played games before, and such should be taken into account when dealing with individuals on the customer service end. When I phoned customer support I received a different answer as well. All I wish for is consistency and support when I have spend so much money on an item, especially when the item is still well within it's return policy

Sorry this didn't help.

There is consistency the issue isn't what you think it is

First and foremost it is not against the terms of use to give out your name because a it doesn't affect your login

It is only not recommended

2nd very importantly it is a common scam people try to pull common on YouTube and moder forums if you have any issue with the advice complain to the poster of the moder video that their info was false

3rd you don't want the option the support gave you

You really don't

A forced name change gives you a random name as probably they got tired of people trying to reuse a name by added a couple letters  and this force gamer tag change does ding you because it is an enforcement action  and does count towards possible perm ban as multiple enforcement actions do add up

Next time live life and play fair it is that simple

Suggestion don't Google free gamer tag changes it just leads to disappointment

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a shocker for you Sarah anything on the net is public however only if you publically announce it on a forums or people see your gamer tag during a game ir shouldn't be a shock to you

Sorry this didn't help.

understood, thank you all for your help

Sorry this didn't help.

well you can try to change it to see if it will change it for free

you can also join xbox rewards and do the surveys to save up enough credits for the gamer-tag change

you can also have your gamer tag set to only friends to see what is on your profile

or you can do an drastic change and delete your xboxlive account and make a new one: support.xbox.com/.../microsoft-account-faq

hope that helps:)

Computer person... also a Mopar technician.
CEO of Independent LLC

Sorry this didn't help.