Gamertag Availability?

Okay, so my question is, How come I will add a certain gamertag and it says it does not exist, but then it won;t let me chenge my GT to that?

I have heard that it is possibly because someone had that GT and then changed and it cannot be grabbed up by someone else, but why not, why can't someone else be allowed to use the unused GT.

I would just like a quick explanation as to why the gamer tag rules are set up so funky like this...

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 181 Applies to:

Hello - the LIVE Gamertag system is in use by other services in addition to Xbox LIVE, so there may be an account on another service that would not appear on Xbox LIVE. Another possibility is that the account was originally created for the original Xbox console, and if the account was never migrated to the Xbox 360, it may be in a dormant state. In this case, we are releasing these accounts, but we have no time frame on when that will happen, when a particular Gamertag may be available, and we do not take requests for certain Gamertags to be released. Our best advice in the meantime is to keep checking back on that name to see if it becomes available, or alternately, try your desired Gamertag with a combination of numbers or extra letters.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

There's a sticky post in this forum that explains a little more: gamertags can't differ only by spacing. Trying to add a gamertag doesn't really tell you whether it exists, because it doesn't check for all possible spacing variations; only trying to change your GT to it will tell you for sure if it is taken.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/12/t/153151.aspx

[quote user="Mister Gwyther"]

I can't change my Gamertag (GT).
Most of the time if you are seeing a message saying the GT you want is unavailable, it’s true. One thing to remember is that spaces and capitalization don’t make your GT unique. For example, “Major Nelson”, “MajorNelson”, and “MaJoRnElSoN” are all the same GT.

GTs are also tied to services like Zune or Games for Windows LIVE. If a GT doesn't exist on Xbox, it might be in use on one of those services. If you try sending the GT you want a friend request and it says it’s not a valid GT that just means it isn’t used on Xbox LIVE, but it could be used for Zune or GFWL.[/quote]

Sorry this didn't help.

That bottom part make no sense. If I send a friends request to a gamertag and it doesn't exist on Xbox Live then certainly it wont exist on GFWL either.

-

Both Xbox Live and GFWL share the same systems for things such as friends requests. Even Xbox.com sees them as the exact same thing.

Sorry this didn't help.

yes i agree,  i want this gt so bad.  if you think about it, why wouldnt requests be the best way to solve this problem?   I mean they can make people happy and make gt's available that people will actually use

Sorry this didn't help.