Gamertag Availability Issues

So I have this really weird problem that I have been trying to figure out. I have wanted to change my gamertag for a while now, and I decided to try messaging the person who had my desired gamertag, the message did not go through because the gamertag did not exist. I was thrilled so I went to change my gamertag, and it said it was already in use. So I logged on to xbox.com to see if someone had it, once again they didn't. I went to this site http://checkgamertag.com/, and it seems pretty legit. I checked my gamertag and all of my friends, and as I expected the site said they were taken, but when I typed in the one I wanted it said it was available. I'm super confused, it seems as though no one has the gamertag, but when I am ready to change it, it says it is taken. All help is appreciated, thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

I am having the same problem. Microsoft needs to sort this out and also delete inactive accounts as they take up Gamertags that other players want to use. Sorry that this isn't a helpful response, but it's just annoyed me and a few friends. SORT IT OUT!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If the spacing in the name is different, that name will not be available.  For example if some has the name "Gamertag" (without spaces), every other version of "Gamertag", like "Gamer<space>Tag", or "GaMeRtAg", or whatever will not be available.  That prevents mistaken identity.

@vAstro HD Microsoft DID in fact delete unused gamertags, but some scumbag users decided to sell unique names, so the stopped releasing the old names to prevent this.  Blame the moron "name hoarders" for this not MS.

Sorry this didn't help.

How did you know the email of the person with this gamertag? This would help me, thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I called support with this exact problem and they directed me here after being no help at all. Not really an answer to your needs but there are many with your same inquiry. The least we should be able to do is request the tag do that they may do a check on it to distribute as needed. This has been a problem for too long and yet it never gets a permanent solution. Hope to see results. -Cory.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you can't get a hold of a GT and it looks unused on here then chances are it's in use on Zune or GFWL. If not then you'll have to wait for it to be freed like the rest of us then it's first come, first served.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="CourteousKnave8"]

How did you know the email of the person with this gamertag? This would help me, thanks.

[/quote]

He didn't.  He messaged that person over his Xbox account.

Sorry this didn't help.