gamertag availability help

so, i've been looking to change my name for awhile. generally what i'll do is, i'll go to my profile ( http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?Gamertag=dwight+hartman ) and i'll delete my name, and enter in a new one to check and see if it's available. if it doesn't bring up someones profile, i'll write it down, compare it, blah blah. well, i finally found one i like that doesn't come up. i bought the points, and i went to change it, and it says the gamertag is already in use.

so, that doesn't make sense. if it doesn't have something attached to it, why can't i use it? thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

It might be used for Zune, I think these are still taken but don't have an Xbox.com profile. (This is just a guess based on things I have heard tho, might not be 100% accurate).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The gamertag system does not consider spaces when it checks to see if a GT is in use. So what that means that for example the GTs "Dwight Hartman" and "DwightHartman" are counted as the SAME taken GT but you would be unable to add the DwightHartman GT to your friends list.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.