Gamertag autochanged because my real name was banned; customer service refuses to waive fee for choosing a new gamertag

My gamertag was automatically changed because my real first name was added to a list of offensive terms. I'd like to choose a new gamertag for myself, but I don't want to pay ten dollars to comply with Microsoft's policy change towards my name. Customer service tells me that there is nothing that I can do; I just have to pay.
 I find this to be unacceptable.

In my case, the documentation shows the following things to be true:

(1) My choice of gamertag was made in good faith, with no intent to offend. Microsoft's records show that the term which has been deemed to be offensive is, in fact, my real name.

(2) I never violated the policy on gamertag designation. Rather, the policy changed to include my good-faith activity. I registered the gamertag in December 2006 and used it without incident, ever. My gamertag was not changed due to other users registering complaints. Rather, my gamertag was changed due to my name being added to the offensive terms list. My inquiries with the enforcement division have confirmed this.

(3) Microsoft has made exceptions to the need to pay for a gamertag change in cases like mine. See: http://kotaku.com/5887730/gamers-last-name-deemed-obscene-by-xbox-live-cops However, XBox customer service has told me that it is not possible to waive the fee. The enforcement division refuses to respond to my inquiries concerning a waiver of the gamertag change fee.

It annoys me that the gamertage name policies acknowledge the problem of real names being added to the offensive term list, but the automatic gamertag change logic doesn't check to see whether the offensive term is in fact the user's real name and then issue a complimentary name change instead.

As both customer service and enforcement have refused to provide me with service, where else can I go? Customer service told me that I can write a physical letter and mail it to Microsoft headquarters, but that's all that I can do. Surely, in the 21st century, there must be a more expeditious alternative.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Youbdont seem to understand the rules then

Actually im plainly explaining to you qhat you dont seem to understand

Good rule of thumb if you have to explain your use of a word dont use it

And if you checked the post from the pet he is correct

Look at it this way

As you are gaming you are representing rhe xbox community

Lets say the said minority group shows up and sees thenoffencive word in your name. Immediately reaction racist player and it is a shame they allow them on thennextwork

And no first impressions dont have to be explained

That is the hatespeech that is a violation of the terms of use

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Fyi ms along with other servixes actually changw their tos from time to time it is upto you to read the changes and agreee to them or disagree and to discontinue use

The pet team has the authority to enforce the same rules

Sorry this didn't help.

Just for your info its not just about context hate speech is zero tolerance and a severve violation of the terma of use

Its not allowed period no matter if its part of your name etc

No matter the use of the word

It offends someone in most cases hate words offend more then one person

Keep your name clean it is that simple

Sorry this didn't help.

That second part doesnt apply unless repeat offences or for perm ban.

Hate speach ia actually banned in most countries and inxlude jailtime

Mahbe you should consider others sensitiblities

And note in your article it was never updared as the policy is actually pretty clear

You do not want part2 if you do not follow the rules and have repeat offences of the naming rules a forced name change will be the least of your worries

Multiple violations of the naming rulea cna incur a perm ban of the said account

Sorry this didn't help.

Why are you still responding when I've asked you not to and you are contributing anything? I'm tempted consider this harassment and report it XBox Live Enforcement.

I've never had to explain the use of my name - no one has ever complained about it. So I pass your test.

I'm happy to comply with the idea that, because of the unique context of XBox Live - which is an impersonal, international forum - there is a potential for offense, even though it has clearly never occurred. So I'm happy to change the gamertag. However, I won't pay money for doing so when my gamertag has never created a problem and is in itself obviously unproblematic. I didn't violate polciy; policy redefined my actions to be violations.

You're just wrong about a complaint being filed; that's not what happened at all. XBox Live added a database of offensive terms and one of those terms matched my name. It was a completely automated process that was never reviewed by a human party.

As I say, you just don't understand what's going on here. It is no business of yours, so far as I can tell. Please stop responding. I will consider further responses to simply be acts of harassment.

Sorry this didn't help.

Fyi enforcement.xbox.com will show you your enforcement history

Sorry this didn't help.

Misses FluffyFoal, I would just like to add that the article that you shared regarding the forced gamertag change is from 2012.  It used to be that when you got a forced gamertag change, you could change it to something else without a fee.  That is what they are referring to about not charging the person in the article.  This policy has since been changed due to too many repeat offenders abusing the system and now you are required to pay to make the change.  They were not specially accommodating someone.  It was just the normal policy.  

Also, if you have further questions you should direct them to the XBLPet in this forum. forums.xbox.com/.../41.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

It does not matter how long you had the name it only takes one valid report for an enforcer to look at your name

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes keep your name rated e for everyone

And no there is no appeal or waiver you nust abide by the terms of use and yes the fee is actually mentioned in the terms of use

Fyi you should feel fortunate to even have the option to change

Name rules violations will only result in a perm ban on any other service on first violation

And yes the rules are the same and if you look at that case it was subjective it doesnt apply to everyone

Sorry this didn't help.

The banned name list is also part of the naming rules

Being a baned word means it was included becauae it violates the terms of use in some way

Not because ita a name

Sorry this didn't help.