Gamer tag stolen

On 9/28 I got home and checked my personal e-mail. After logging into my e-mail I noticed that I had 3 e-mails from Microsoft. The e-mails said that I had added a secondary contact e-mail, bought 6000 point, and 4000 points. I found this odd since I hadn't used my Xbox in a few weeks. I tried to log into my Live account on the Live webpage and was told my password was changed. I immediately recovered my Windows Live ID password and changed it. I then called up MS to get this taken care of.

I told the rep on the phone what had happened he asked me a bunch of personal info to confirm who I was. I passed that check and he started an investigation. He had me try to recover my gamer tag on my Xbox and when I did I was slapped in the face with a different gamer tag. The gamer tag I had from day 1 of Xbox live (The Nutt) many years ago was now NinthDrop6520.

After a little detective work I think I've figured what happened. I had a key logger on my PC that which is how my user name and password was stolen. The hacker logged into my Windows Live account, added a secondary contact e-mail account (I don't know why since they already had access to the account), reset the password, bought 10,000 points and then transferred my gamer tag to another Windows Live ID.

I'm more than concerned that I'm never going to get my original gamer tag back and my achievements. Everything I've found online seems to indicate that people don't get their gamer tag back in these situations. I don't understand why because if a hacker can transfer it to another Windows Live ID why can't MS just reverse it? I only had around 8,000 points but I'm the type of person that will just say "I'm done with this" and buy the competitions product out of spite.

Is there anything else I can do to increase the chance of me getting my old gamer tag back?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

Working with phone support is all you can do at this stage, no one here can really help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sorry your account got stolen.  I know exactly what you are going through because it just happened to my girlfriend in almost exactly the same way.  The weird part is that it just happened recently (2nd week of Sept.)

She had noticed 2 charges to her Paypal account as well as the inability to sign into her account. Fortunately after talking with the phone reps and Microsoft's diligence, her account was locked from further changes and her gamer tag as well the money spent was recouped.  Since we recovered it we then were able to do a bit of sleuthing and noticed that the 2 charges were for 6,000 points and 4,000 points which they then turned around and used the points to buy coins (pretty lame if you ask me).  The little twit made a huge flaw and added her as a friend and played a game using her tag!  This resulted in 2 achievements being added to her gamer tag on the same day the account was stolen. The funny part is that it was for a sports game...what chick do you know plays sports games (not mine). I am hopeful that the next call to MS will result in the lowlife losing his gamer tag for good.  There goes all his work!

Our stories do differ in the fact that the culprit(s) did not change her gamer tag, etc.

As I told her, don't give up hope.  The process took about 2 weeks with semi constant communication between her and Microsoft.  The process was successful without knowing some crucial information that was used at the time she set up her account.

I wish you the best of luck and hope the outcome is positive.  If there's anything we could due to help, don't hesitate to contact me.  We are more than happy to assist someone who went through the same tumultuous circumstances.  The complete lack of decency and disregard for another person's belongings, data, and money is absolutely deplorable

I would have used a lot more expletives, but I don't want my account to get banned lol.

Sorry this didn't help.

I found this thread via a google search.

This is just what happened to me a few hours ago. Locked out my hotmail, managed to recover email account, found 2 emails from Xbox with a confirmation of 6000 points, and 5000 points purchases (which I didn't make). It's too late for me to call support, I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Sorry this didn't help.

This just happened to me today in a matter of hours this afternoon, and they spent over $250! And I had just reactivated xbox again early this month. My only PC i use with this is clean as well. Now I get to play phone tag.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is why I don't keep any paypal or credit card on my gamertag, sorry your account got hack man. Once it is hack, nothing can be done. Just try to not fall for phishing scheme and stuff, and don't leave your credit card or paypal in your gamertag, try to use redeem card, so if your GT do get stolen no more harm will done. I got my GT stolen also, I called MS for about 3 weeks before I gave up and just tell them to lock and ban that account, as they said they can't give back my account. Hope this help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Call support, get an unauthorised access investigation opened, wait until it finishes and you'll have your account back in your possession

Sorry this didn't help.