Game Prices

Why can i buy Assassins Creed Unity from amazon for $17.99 with Microsoft listed as the seller, but the same Microsoft wants me to pay $39.99 to down load a digital copy of what appears to be the same game?? 

Shouldn't retail prices for games be approximately the same regardless of where they are bought? And why are digital downloaded game the same price as buying a disk ? I would have thought that digital games would be at lease a little cheaper.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I feel as if I've read this thread about 3,572 times now.

Sometimes you'll find better prices on Amazon... sometimes you'll find a good deal for the digital copy.... sometimes Walmart.... sometimes Gamestop.  

From my understanding, the publisher sets the price for the game on Xbox Live, so it is definitely better to wait until a good deal comes along (if you're looking at going all-digital).  As for these online distributors, they constantly put things on sale, mainly in the effort to get you to buy other things from their website/store.

As for why they tend to be more expensive, well I've already listed the main reason, but you (the customer) always seems to pay more for convenience.  The bandwidth costs are there, paying for server access, etc etc.  I'm not trying to make excuses as I wish the prices would come down, but I can understand why they are higher (sometimes).

Never ever compare online retailers such as Amazon or eBay to Xbox Live prices.  It is not even comparable.  Amazon always has the lowest prices.  

Xbox Live's digital prices are dictated by the publisher.  Not Microsoft

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post, it is really appreciated.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post, it is really appreciated

Just buy it from amazon, the disc version of ANYTHING is hundred times preferable to a digital download anyway.

besides digital distribution costs alot more due to data costs and bandwidth costs.

"besides digital distribution costs alot more due to data costs and bandwidth costs."

I don't think anybody buys that. That's just the poppycock excuse they use for charging the same for digital as physical merchandise. The real truth is digital is way cheaper to make and sell and that is why everybody is pushing it over physical. It's cheaper than physical and they get an even bigger profit buy charging the same as physical. If digital was really more expensive, they'd all be pushing physical media.

^ Umm.... I agree with what eber3 said.

The "Distribution costs alot more due to data, and bandwidth costs" Is nothing more than worthless talking points put out by the industry itself, and repeated here to no avail to those who have *ears to hear.

*For those that don't. All you got to do to figure out how "talking points" works is to watch C-Spam, or whatever gobernment media your country has out. And you'll see that industry is just copying politicians ways of duping the public into the idea of buying bridges to no-where. (figure of speech)

ok, take it for example, call of duty = approx 40GB, if that is downloaded 10,000 times that is 400TB approx, and that is just one game, digital distribution can cost as much as a case and booklet (which cost approx 5 pence in bulk each), data distribution is not cheap and it surely is not free.

I don't think anybody said it was free. I just don't for a second think it costs the same, or remotely close too, the cost of physically making a disc, buying the case etc, packaging, shipping, storing the product etc along the way before it reaches the consumer.

Your example is faulty, it doesn't matter how many times it is downloaded, each download is paid for by each consumer. If a game is downloaded 10,000 times, 7 billion times, or only once, the cost to each consumer is for one download. One download is surely much cheaper than one physically made and shipped game... I'd say at least half the cost and probably less.