Game download card code scratched off.

Hi everyone!

I bought an xbox 360 bundle from Best Buy with some games included. One of the games is a game download card which provides a code.  Like an idiot I scratched it too hard using a key. Now I cannot read it. 

I first contacted Best Buy (both local store and online support), both of them said they do not have the game card since the game card only comes with the bundle. And they asked me to contact Microsoft.

Then I contacted Microsoft, they asked for the picture of my damaged card.  I sent it to them now they said they cannot do the replacement nor provide me a new code. And they suggested me to contact Best Buy.

It seems that they are playing ping-pong game and nobody really cares about my situation. A $20 buck game is not a big deal. But I just wonder if I have the right to ask for a new code/ replacement since I have not activated the code. Their attitude really annoys me.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 597 Applies to:

You can keep trying phone support but as it was you who caused the damage they have no obligation to give you a replacement.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah sadly ms is not responsible for lost or damaged cards you will have to take it up with the retailer.

Sorry this didn't help.

OMG, I just scratched off  my code for a 12 month gold membership ($69.99!!) with a key and damaged my code too!  What do I do??

Sorry this didn't help.

Same situation for me. The scratching mechanism is really terrible, difficult to scratch with a coin or a nail.

From my point of view , the cost for Microsoft to resolve this kind of issue (to provide a code for a service not used) is much less than all the revenue that we will not generate for them moving to other platforms that do not have such a horrible ways to provide the codes.

I hope that they resolve in the future for the sake of future customers.

Sorry this didn't help.

in all the times I used a scratch off strip for any type of code reveal I never had any issues.  the trick is just to do light scratches with a coin with a non textured outer edge (like a nickel), or the edge of a key.  for future reference do not bump a thread from almost a year ago, it is always best to create a fresh one.

Sorry this didn't help.