Full connection on Xbox Live, 1 bar when I try to play online games

So my problem first arose about 24 hours ago. First half of the day yesterday everything was working fine and I had no lag or anything then when I tried to play last night I kept lagging. I had a 4 bar connection in my room which is the furthest room in my house from our wireless router, but as soon as I tried to play an online match in Mortal Kombat I lagged out. I also tried to play Zombies on Black Ops but had one red bar and lagged the whole time. I did the wireless network test multiple times and everytime I had the same 4 bar connection but when I tried to play online it got laggy and went down to one bar. Same thing happened today when I tried to play so I moved my xbox to the same room as the router. My Xbox is now about 12 ft away from the router. I have a full 5 bar connection in there and im still experiencing problems. I dont have an ethernet cable or else id try that too. On top of this I am pretty much technologically retarded and have no idea how to configure the router in any way shape or form and my dad wont want me doing that regardless. Any ideas of what could be wrong?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Also I went to www.pingtest.net and ran the test and it came back horrible, 96% packet loss but I have no idea what to do or make of that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You are gonna need to hook up your xbox with an ethernet cable to see if it's wireless interferance, the 4 bars you get in the network test is just your console to the router, the signal in the game is from your console to the world.

Hook up wired, see if you still get disconnected, if you do there's an issue with your internet, if you don't there's an issue with the wireless and we can look at that more closely.

Sorry this didn't help.

Im having the same problem but I tried wired and I still had one bar. Help?!?!?

Sorry this didn't help.

But I have 4 bars when I test the connection in network settings.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greenram1822, these forums work best when you create a new thread with a first post of your own, as the original poster's problem and solution, although similar, could be very different in detail. It's great that you're researching here, but the quickest path to a solution is your own new thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

xDUKExSILVERx, do you have a wireless stereo headphone set, such as Turtle Beach or MadKatz?  Is there a wireless baby monitor or a cordless phone base station within a yard/metre of the Xbox? Those devices all use the same frequencies of WiFi, but because they aren't WiFi, they cause interference which matches your description.

If so, disconnect them and see if the problem is solved... and if that solves them, keep them at least a yard/metre away (USB extension cords for the stereophones are inexpensive).

If not, then ask yer da to call Xbox Networking Support so we can help him troubleshoot the problem. The phone number list is below.

Sorry this didn't help.