Friend list problem?

Hey, I'm not sure if this is happening to just me or to a few people but I've noticed the last 2 days my friend list isn't showing correctly. For example, I will sign online and it will say "12 friends online" but when I open my friend list it says there's 10 online. When I sign into xbox.com all 12 will show up, but on my Xbox some will be offline and just have "Offline" written next to their names. I've noticed it's been the same couple of people that show as Offline but when I look on xbox.com they're online and it will give me a notification of them coming online but it'll then say they're not. When this happened 2 days ago it fixed itself and was fine yesterday but today it's happened again.

I've tried clearing system cache, re-downloading my profile etc but nothing has worked. Could this be looked at?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 724 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There is a chance they are manually selecting "Appear Offline"

They probably dint move fast enough too, thats why you would see so and so is online pop up.

Normally if a friend just says Offline, they probably set that manually so no one would bother them.

People who are truly offline will show a last seen on so and so....unless they were offline before a system update...then all of those people will just show up as offline until they log on and update.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sometimes its also just an error, I had a friend appear as online for a week straight even though his console was offline.. I kept insisting to him he must have left his system on, so he went and checked but it was off.  Once he signed back online though, it reset his status to normal and then he finally started appearing offline again when the system was not on.

What I'm saying is, those friends may need to officially come online in order to fix it for your console, as its only happening on your end. Not sure what causes it, but you are the only one who should be seeing them as offline or online when they are not either of those statuses. But as Son ALA said, its also possible they are appearing offline and your console is just slow to update that or not at all, yet the website is ignoring the appear offline/online.

If your trying to play with those people, just send them a msg on the console, they will see it and then you can do whatever it is your wanting to do with them.

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems to be happening on and off today more than 2 days ago, they're not appearing offline though as I speak to some of them daily and have asked if they have the same problem as me but they've said no. To other people they show as online when I ask them what they see. I haven't experienced this before but hopefully it'll sort itself out :) Thanks for the help

Sorry this didn't help.

Same thing has just started happening to me, but its me who my friends see as offline. I'm certainly not appearing offline and in the past 3 days 2 of my friends have asked me why i was offline even though i wasn't.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi tiny creature!  That is very odd.  Would you mind making a fresh thread detailing what you're seeing? We'll get to the bottom of it!

Sorry this didn't help.

Well as I said i'm not really seeing anything, just according to 2 friends i was "offline" when I was actually online. Also its worth noting that as soon as i sent one of them a message it fixed the problem and i was no longer "offline" for him, and that is all i can really say.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, gotcha.  Are you still experiencing this?  Or did sending that message fix it permanently?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the exact same problem. when i log on into xbox.com i'm able to see my friends list fully but when i'm on my xbox people still show up as offline for some reason.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here, they need to fix this

Sorry this didn't help.

Hard to tell at this point, but i doubt it was a permanent fix. Will have to wait for them to come online again and see what happens.

Sorry this didn't help.