Fried network card? Do the wireless and wired network adapters use the same chipset?

So today I came home and notice I can no longer connect to xbox live. I was not banned, my internet is working, and of course I power cycled everything. I am able to achieve an ip address both wired and wirelessly, but I can't get to the internet with the wired connection.  I can connect to the network, but I can't hit my media center or xbox live. It mentions the dns not being able to resolve it. I manually entered known good dns servers. It is possible that this is a case of a bad network cable.  The wireless adapter is able to make it out to xbox live. However, it disconnects after about 5 seconds. I put it in the DMZ to avoid the moderate nat issue.  I know my router is functioning correctly, as I have many other devices, both wired and wireless. I also changed ports for the wire, so it isn't a bad port.

Is there a way to maybe reinstall the firmware? I tried the reset to factory settings, but that did nothing, and since I can get an IP, and get out with the wireless, and hit the router with the wire, I am confused. Does anyone have any suggestions, or do I need to send it in to get repaired? It should still be under warranty. I use it pretty much as my media center, so it would suck to have to be without it for a couple of weeks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 105 Applies to:

Well now it seems that the xbox thinks the wire is plugged in, even when it is not. The reason it was disconnecting is it kept switching between the non-existent wired connection and the wireless. It was sporadic at first, but now it seems permanent. So I guess I have to send in the xbox :-/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

There might be an Ip address conflict. Not sure as your problem is somewhat different. What you could try is to manually set a manual ip for the xbox and place that for the dmz. Set it from what everything else on the network uses like 192.168.2.10 instead of 192.168.2.3. Just try something like that sorry if this didn't solve the problem but I have never seen a problem like this before.

Edit: If your xbox is doing that then you probably need to send it in for repair.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, you need to send the xbox in for service.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, seems like it.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are able to connect, but get disconnected, I doubt there is something physically wrong with your network hardware. Have you checked out our Connection Guide (forums.xbox.com/.../9.aspx)? If you want help here, just post back the answers to the bold questions in the guide. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's disconnecting because it thinks the wire is plugged in. Also, I can't connect at all now. It is permanently stuck in wired mode.

Sorry this didn't help.

What do you mean "stuck in wired mode"? Does it think an ethernet cable is plugged in even when there isn't one?

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly that, yes. I have already sent it off.

Sorry this didn't help.