Frequent disconnects from Xbox Live

With all games I play on live I will become disconnected from my party then the game after around 20-30 minutes. I can usually reconnect almost immediately, but only after exiting back to the dashboard. Sometimes the game itself will freeze (this happens with mutliple games that work fine in my friends 360s).

I live in NC, USA

Timer Warner High Speed internet with an average of 30mb down and 5mb up

Ubee DDW3611 router/modem

Wired connection

UPnP enabled

no port forwarding (there are multiple 360s in our house and port forwarding doesn't work correctly with multiple 360s)

open NAT type

MTU settings at their recommended numbers

IP flood protection: OFF

Other possibly relevant info:

Other devices in the house (several computers) stay connected even when the 360 loses Live connection.

These other devices don't experience and lag during this time either.

Once I exit the game and return to the dashboard I can usually reconnect to Live right away. Testing the connection from the dashboard will therefore say everything is fine because it reconnected.

My Xbox doesn't feel overheated and I even tried aiming a fan at it and the powerbrick to keep them even cooler - still get the frequent disconnects.

The games I have tried are MW3, GOW3, and Netflix with friends in my party. The disconnects happened with all of these.

I am quite frustrated and would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Malenky Malchik

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

1.  You said you had multiple Xbox.  Does this occur with all of them or is it limited to just this specific Xbox?

2.  Is this an Xbox S model?

3.  You said you have a gateway (modem/router combo), do you by chance have a cable modem that you could use to direct connect the Xbox to the internet just for testing purposes?  If you can eliminate the router portion of the equation, you can narrow down if that's the cause.  I would say the majority of connection issues are caused by the router portion of the gateway (or just the router if you're using a modem and router separately).

Most likely this is being caused by the gateway device, but without being able to narrow it down, it's very difficult to determine what you need to do in order to resolve this.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1. The other Xbox systems belong to my housemates. They don't usually play online, but when they do they usually don't experience any problems.

2. This is the old 360, not the new slim version.

3. Our provider, Time Warner, does not allow us the option to get just a modem on the plan we currently subscribe to - we are required to use their modem/router combo.

Tonight I was on Netflix with a friend, after 30-45 min. of watching a movie I would get a message saying he left my xbox live party, so I would try and back out to the dashboard, but once I select the exit to dashboard option my console freezes. I would restart my xbox, rejoin his party and be able to watch another 15-45 min. before it all happened again.

Earlier this day I was playing street fighter 4 offline with a friend for almost 5 hours and experienced no problems. I only get these freezes with online games.

Thanks for helping me, I really want to get this figured out so I can enjoy my games again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Malenky, have you tried port forwarding for the console in question? You can find steps here in Step 4.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same issue. Same road runner service, same modem. My xbox will disconnect from xbox live and sometimes freeze. The other devices on my network experience no lag during this time.

I have ports forwarded for my xbox, that does not seem to help.

I would really appreciate any help on this as it is very frustrating.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Fuel, can you please create your own thread for assistance with this issue? To receive the best results, please include a full description of your issue, along with answers to the bold questions listed here.

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem same place same service... why should one start a new thread for the same problem? way to clog your forms

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, Logan. While issues may seem the same on the surface there are often other factors at play that differ. Creating a new thread means that we can work with you one-on-one to identify any and all contributing factors to an issue so we can offer the best troubleshooting steps possible for the specific situation.

With that said, if you would like assistance please click this link to start a new thread and we would be more than happy to assist: forums.xbox.com/.../addpost.aspx

In addition, please be mindful of the post date of a thread before replying. This will prevent the bumping of very old threads such as this one from December 2011. Thank you in advance! Standing by. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Log in to your gateway and disable IP Flood Detection and Firewall Protection in the Content Filtering section.

Sorry this didn't help.