Frequent disconnecting from xbox live parties

I am having an issue with xbox live disconnecting from parties on occasion. When Im disconnected, i have to wait 15 seconds or so, then I reconnect most of the time. other times it says cant join xbox live party. also I occasionally have friends that i cant connect with in an xbox live party at all. When I do connect, It takes 20 seconds for the party to finally connect. I have DSL. I have 10 MBPS download, 1 MBPS upload, and ping at 30ms. I opened port 88 UDP, and port 3074 UDP and TCP. My NAT is open as well. I have a linksys wireless - G router with a wired connection to my xbox. also a wired connection from that router to my desktop. please let me know what i need to do to troubleshoot this please.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 46 Applies to:

Make sure you have a password on your Wi-Fi and you need to change your iP address. Call your local internet provider (Time Warner Cable possibly) and have them change it. You will need some account information and Router numbers on the bottom of your Router.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Salty!

If you are having party connection problems this link will help you. But I will also go over some of the items from that page here in your thread.

Disconnecting from parties happens sometimes and usually it is a problem with your or your friends Network Address Translation (NAT) settings.

Solution 1: Have everyone in the party test their Xbox Live connections.

Someone in your party might have a Network Address Translation (NAT) problem. To find out, have everyone test their connection. Here’s how:

1. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
  2. Select Network Settings.
  3. Select Wired Network or your wireless network name (if you are prompted to do so).
  4. Select Test Xbox Live Connection.

A NAT warning appears as a yellow exclamation point:

If someone has a NAT warning: Have your friend try the solutions in the following article: Error: Your NAT type is set to strict (or moderate).

You said in your post you have DSL so you are using a Broadband connection, but ask your friends in your party if they might be using Satalite or $4G mobile broadband.. You might experience problems joining parties if you are using a satellite connection or a 4G mobile broadband connection. We recommend using a broadband cable, DSL, or fiber Internet connection.

I know this issue can be frustrating. I hope this answer/links helps you with this issue. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi salty,

Try resetting your router for 30 seconds if that dosn't work get On your Xbox go to network settings disconnect the wire or wireless network and reconnect it and test connection. Your upload Mbps seem a little low. Try to replace your ethernet cables sometimes they go bad and people don't know it. It might be your

Friends as well some IPs give off signels that causes you to disconnect.

Sorry this didn't help.

Brawck - my wifi is password protected. why do i need to change my IP address? im unaware that being a trick to better your service. I'd love more info if you have it.

Orangeug1ad - I have reset my router probably twice everytime i have been online, no change. and my friends are all on broadband.

Ilovegirlbootys - I will try to replace my ethernet cables with new ones. they are pretty old. In the event that it happens to be my friends IP addresses being the issue... I can connect sometimes and other days i cant connect. the only way i can join a party with those friends is if someone else hosts the party.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Salty, 

Trying out a different ethernet cable may be a good idea.

Were you able to the troubleshooter linked by Orange in his first sentence in that post? It has some other troubleshooting steps that may help you resolve your issue.

Please let us know and we'll work from there. 

Sorry this didn't help.