Freezing

Hi, I have a new 360 S that i bought last January. It has run well up until recently. I has started freezing when returning to dashboard and I can hear something clicking. Now it has started doing that between matches in a game. It is still under warranty but I would rather not risk getting a refurbished one. Any help?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

The clicking usually comes from the disc drive. It's pretty common, but I'm not sure why it would make your Xbox freeze.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have all of my games installed and the one its freezing in now is the Gears beta so there is no disk at all.... HELP

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all!

Have any of you tried clearing the update cache on your xbox 360's? This could help with the freezing issues that you're experiencing. As for the "clicking", this could be a number of things but I would say it's just your console's processing unit reading the information from the disc. A lot of equipment with a processing unit will make these kinds of noises, such as: PCs, DVD & CD players and even iPods. It's nothing to worry about but if you really find it to be that much of an irratant installing your games to the hard drive may help.

"OK! That may be the reason as to why my console is clicking, but why is it freezing?" Right, the console reads a lot of information when running your games (updates included) and when performing other tasks. If an update is damaged or incomplete it can causes system freezes/crashes. Think of when playing a game on your PC, if you eject the disc while in-game the system freezes and closes the game as there is no further data for it to continue - If an update is damaged or incomplete when performing tasks on the xbox 360 it may freeze and crash due to there being no further data to run the process.

Clearing the update cache will allow the console to refresh and download a new update(s) which may be faulty. If you need help clearing the cache follow these steps:

1. Navigate to the "My xbox" slide on the dashboard.
  2. Scroll right, to the last page which is the "System Settings" page.
  3. Select "Memory" from the list of options.
  4. Highlight the hard drive and hit Y on your controller.
  5. Select the option to clear the update cache and perform maintenance on the memory unit.
  6. Restart your xbox 360 system.

Hopefully this should resolve the freezing issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ive done all that. Its the disk drive. when returning to the dashboard and it freezing. if I eject the disk it unfreezes. so its not broken necessarily just annoying. Ill prolly send it in for repair.

Sorry this didn't help.