Freeing An Xbox Gamertag

So as it stands, I have a second account on my xbox with a gamertag that I wish to use. Now I've got microsoft points and i'm willing to pay for the name change on this account but the problem is that it's being in use on the secondary one.

My question is how do i delete that second accounts gamertag from the database and be allowed to change my name to it. Or better yet, is there an alternative method to doing it. Thanks for any help given :)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

i dont think you can delete a account , you can only not use it, it will always be in microsofts data base

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

There was a method in the past (not sure if it still works), where you could change from one gamertag to another, provided you had ownership of both of them (and enough points). It's, unfortunately, a very pricey process.

Let's say you have the names GT1 and GT2 and you want to change GT1 into GT2. But first you need to free up GT2. What you would do is change GT2 to GT3 (800msp). This would then free up GT2... so for ANOTHER 800msp, you could change GT1 into GT2.

I know people have done this in the past, so I don't know why it wouldn't work now... but please don't take my word for it entirely... I don't want to be the reason you throw 1600 msp at a name change. But it's something to look into (if you want the name change bad enough).

Sorry this didn't help.

That's my assumption too, and i don't want to delete that second account either. Thanks for the help

Sorry this didn't help.

And NorthernZoot, that is a bit pricy for a simple name change. I'm just going to find a slight variation to the gamertag and save myself all the trouble and money :) Again, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.