Free Month goldmembership gone

Hello,

I bought a Xbox One yesterday and since I did not have an active gold membership on my 360 in a while I received the free month trial membership.

Since I also received from another source a 3 month membership code I thought why not redeem it right now - it should add up, like it usually would with such systems. I even checked the support pages if there this would violate my free trial month and found nothing.

Guess what - my trial membership is gone and now I only have the three month added by the code. Is this an error or intended? If the latter, it is simply a joke. Then they should warn the people that the you should not add a code in the trial month. Especially since many people use the code cards and not the credit card.

If it is an error, whom can I contact about these things?

Thanks in advance

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

CaptSpacecase the membership that comes with the console is not a trial membership. The only way to get a month of trial membership is by creating a new account. Alternative trial memberships are in new games which give you 48hours 1 week or 2week trial memberships

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm curious about what you're saying about not being able to add a trial membership to an established membership. I had a 1 year membership which wasn't going to expire until Dec this year. Sadly, my console broke and I had to do an exchange. When I got the new console Microsoft sent me a 1 month card and the letter had said I could use it to try xbox live if I didn't have it already, or tack it onto my account, which I did. It did successfully extend my expiration date, but it seems to have also taken my  green number of live years off of my profile. If it is because of the trial card why would they even send it? I would not have used it had I known it would screw that all up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Regular memberships can be stacked, it's just that trial memberships do not have full access to all the Live Gold features and therefor do not stack.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, then they should say it with the vice versa, because the way it reads it is just a repetition of the "you cannot have a trial month when you already are a subscriber" which of course makes sense.

It does not make sense to punish people who have a code card or a code instead of using the automatic renewal at the end of the month for redeeming it, which they do this way. Because most people who will buy such a code will redeem it before the end of the month.

I work in marketing and have to deal with similar things am  I am pretty much sure that from a legal perspective it needs to be explained somewhere explicitely, at least by European law (not sure about the US),  and not implied by a sentence which has a completely different directional meaning.

I will try to contact support about this, but if it is really as you say, the Xbox One experience started with a very negative aspect and I simply might use my right to return the Xbox ...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

Unfortunately it is intended that Trials do not stack with existing memberships. It's also mentioned on the support page Xbox Live Gold trial memberships

[quote]

Notes

• The Xbox Live Gold trial membership is associated with a single gamertag.
  • You can't add an Xbox Live Gold trial membership to an existing membership.
  • Only three trial accounts are available per console. This limitation cannot be reset.
  • After a user has created three trial accounts on their console, the user no longer receives a message that provides the opportunity to create an Xbox Live Gold trial account.
  • To sign up for the Xbox Live Gold trial membership, you must add a payment method to your account.

[/quote]

This also works in a vice versa way meaning that if you have a trial membership it will be lost if you purchase a gold membership

Sorry this didn't help.