free gold membership?

so today I bought my first xbox, and Im fairly happy with it. bought it because a friend told me about all the features it had. (been a ps3 guy for a long time).

he also told me that by making my first account, I would be able to get a free month of "gold membership" which I would really like to try out, so I can play black ops together with him and other people.

but now I cant figure out how to get it. so do I have to buy it? and if I do only buy for 1 month, does it withdraw the money it costs, and then after a month a loose my gold membership, or do it keep withdrawing untill i stop it on my own?

all help are apreatiated. also please excuse my english, its not my first language.

tl;dr how can I get free gold membership for the first month?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Auto renewal is set up on any account that uses a credit card or other payment method to purchase LIVE time on the console or Xbox.com. If you do not want auto renewal on, you can call phone support to turn it off, or use prepaid codes purchased in most retail stores.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

so my mounth of free ran out and i cant sign on how would i know when it automatically renews it?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. To get the free membership you need to create a account on the console then click  the avatar box and then connect to xbox live. You've already done the account creation part by the looks of things so you're part of the way there. Be aware that this only applies for the first three accounts you sign up to XBL, once you've used them up they're gone.

2. This'll be auto renewal you're on about. Auto renewal is not switched on unless you buy a membership with a credit/debit card. It isn't switched on when using membership cards you can buy in stores or after your freebie month runs out.

3. Auto renewal stays on until you call Xbox support and actually tell them you want it switched off.

Sorry this didn't help.

aw ok, I guess Ill be making a new account then :(

thanks alot for the replys tho, glad to meet such a helpful community on first time visiting the forums :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Every new console has one free month of gold available for up to 3 gamertags. In order to get the gold you have to create a new account on the console. During the account creation it asks if you want to Join Live. Say yes and it lists the options for buying a gold membership. Choose Upgrade Later and it should give you the free month.

Sorry this didn't help.

The free month is only available three times to accounts created on the console itself. If you created the account on the website then you wont be eligible with that account.

Sorry this didn't help.