FPS Lock option?

I *** hate playing games at 60 fps...  Especially games that aren't shooters(all it does is add refresh rate and make graphics liquidy/gamey with no upside, also can be eye straining)...

I also know alot of people hate Soap Opera Effect and the movie 'the hobbit' shows many people didn't like 48 fps at all... (casuals)

So how about an FPS lock option?  You could do a single FPS lock, or per game...  I enjoy gaming at 40-45 fps so this would turn out pretty useful to me...  I'm sure it would also get alot of undecided fans on board with X1...  Per game would be pretty sweet(30 fps games get displayed at 30 no matter what)...

I would probably set up my list like this:

-Titanfall 45-50 fps

-Gears 45 fps

-Halo 5  45 or 50 fps

-MGS5 40 fps

-Forza 50 fps

Honestly 60 fps gaming is just an eyesore to me... the extra refresh rate is useless...  I'm just asking because this should be fairly easy to implement... 

However, if only one option can be added, I'd choose 45...  so if you guys consider partially adding the option I'd recommend that...  it would be awesome if the option was added by launch...  

anyway  thanks for listening...  I'd be pretty dissapointed if this option wasn't added by launch b/c it's so simple...  for many of us the eye strain of 60 fps is just as bad as judder from 30 fps...  being a 60fps fan or a graphics(30 fps fan) is stupid to me... honestly the 40-45 is more like real life and 30/60 are TERRIBLE options for most games...  60 adds unreal focus which causes strain so depending on this I may or man not upgrade nex-gen... no point in paying $499 for a bad time and a potential eye doctor visit...  Point is, more options are better...  thanks again for listening.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

you can tweak your tv's motion settings, I have been using Sony Bravia's motion flow on the smooth settings, it makes the liquidy effects of a high refresh rate very cool

ugh I hate smooth motion effect on TV's.  I keep mine off.  Gives me a headache most of the time....and it makes movies look so fake.

[quote user="Merlin4421"]

ugh I hate smooth motion effect on TV's.  I keep mine off.  Gives me a headache most of the time....and it makes movies look so fake.

[/quote]

That's the very reason I love my TV. It uses Samsung's AutoMotion Plus technology that makes faster movement clear & detailed rather than a blur & adds depth to the image that makes it look like 3D without actually having 3D - but then again, that's probably why you get headaches. It's not for everyone. I also loved how the Hobbit looked too at the higher frame-rate, but that's probably off-topic.

You do realize that you will be at a disadvantage if this even worked right?  If you have a lower framerate, then your game is refreshing at a slower pace then everyone else.  It wont be much, just a few miliseconds, but add that to the latency already and its not good.

And locking the FPS at 45 would be weird.  The FPS is the same as the refresh rate on your TV.  At 30 FPS, the TV shows the same frame twice(for a 60hz TV) at 60 FPS the TV would show a different image for every frame.  Running the game at a non dividable number of 60 will make the motion jerky.

Totally disagree...  I game at 40-45 fps on a 60 hz monitor all day long...  I'm aware that reaction time could be lowered, theoretically, but I don't notice it at all...

Even so, if what you say is true and you can only see 30/60 fps correctly, I'd want the option to play certain games at 30 fps...  MGS5 for example doesn't deserve to be 60 fps... there's a point when refresh rate is adding unnatural focus that you wouldn't notice in real life... some think it's super-human or human, I disagree...

One of the holy grails of cinematography for example is control focus to correctly see situations for emotional/realism in effect...  60 fps adds unnatural focus to the entire screen for periods of time I would say you wouldn't interpret something similarly(at a rate like) 60 fps in real life...  You may focus on something at a rate like 60 fps, however what's around it is blurred and closer to 40 fps...  Being forced to watch the entire thing in focus can be eye straining, especially at 1080p...

I did do some further looking into the reasoning behind your comment and found a post saying 40fps would look bad in 2D because one pixel would be moved every frame while another would be moved for the next two...  that may be true for 2D, however like I said, I've never noticed it in 3D...  Furthermore, that calculation is less than a millisecond...  

Reaction-time doesn't matter to me in games other than FPS, and even in FPS, why does it matter that you've got an extra extra frame every 15th of a second to me?  If I'm 1 second ahead of you or playing at all strategically that just means you've got an extra 15th of a second to watch my headshot...

Everyone plays differently and the point is, more options are better...  30, 40, 45, 60...

I mean, I'm watching Iron Man 24p on a 60 hz screen, is there a problem with that?

60 fps is bad?

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0]