Formerly formatted H Drive needs to be reformatted?

Okay I will be blunt, this is the second time this has happened and I am fed up.

My Xbox has a tiny internal memory which filled up rather quickly, so we went out and bought an official Xbox 360 H drive, inserted it and for many months enjoyed the extra memory is offered. Then one day out of the blue my Xbox seemed to have crashed, we rebooted it and found that my H Drive, which had the majority of my game files on it, was unusable. After doing some research we learnt that there were only two ways to go about fixing this.

1. Spend ludicrous amounts of money on a non Microsoft device to transfer my H Drive files to my computer, reformat the H drive and transfer the files back. 

2. Reformat and destroy all of my files. 

Due to money constraints I reluctantly went with the second option. Now that it has happened again I am really not impressed. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Ok, first off I'm glad you didn't go with option 1 as there is no device that can do what you described.  Once an Xbox file is moved to the pc the pc rewrites it into a language it can understand which makes the file unreadable on the console.

Now, you say you went out a purchased a hard drive.  Where did you purchase it from?  Was it used?  What did you pay for it?

If you can answer those questions we may be able to help out.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Um, this was no less than 10 months ago so my memory is a bit sketchy but I will try to answer as best I can.

I got the hard drive from Future shop, brand new still in it's packaging.

I want to say I paid 60$ (Canadian) for it, but truth be told I am not sure.

(I checked the website and the only one they showed was not the one I bought so I can't be certain about the price)

Sorry this didn't help.

$60 sounds a little cheap for a hard drive.  Was this for the S console or the old FAT console?  What is the size of the drive?

Sorry this didn't help.

It might have been more, like I said it was a while back. For Xbox S, and 320 GB

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, the average price of a hard drive for the S console (250 or 320 GB) is usually between $120 - $150 depending on the retailer.   It is possible that if you paid significantly less than that then the hard drive may not have been official or may have been refurbished.

Does your current drive install in the side vent (right hand side near rear of console) or do you plug it into a usb port?

Can you take a picture of the hard drive and post it here so we can see it?  Make sure to take a clear pic of the sticker on the back.

Sorry this didn't help.