Forgot password for e-mail address linked to my Xbox live account

This isn't the account I had to make this one to be able to post here, sorry if that's against the rules or anything.

I used a friend's e-mail address to setup my Xbox live account a few years back, somehow it was a Yahoo! account when I thought a hotmail/live address was required, anyway I accidentally erased the password for the account(really smart, I know), so I tried e-mailing him through the address that I had on hand and none of the messages I tried sending to him went through and it told me that the account is deactivated so now I have no way to get in touch with him either.

So I contacted Xbox support and the guy helping me out said to go to http:\\accounts.live.com, to click on sign in and then the "forgot password" link to try and recover the password that way but I couldn't get it to work because I don't know any of the account details since the address wasn't mine and the Yahoo! address we used is turning up as deleted anyway.

Anything else I can do?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 15 Applies to:

If the Yahoo account name has actually been removed from the service then you have an option.

Go to the Yahoo site and create an email address with the old name. Then simply go through the forgotten password steps that support described.

Since the 'new' yahoo email will have the same name as the 'old' one, you'll now get your password reset email.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just to be sure I tried sending another e-mail to his address and it says:

"Sorry your message to <e-mail address> cannot be delivered.  This account has been disabled or discontinued."

So I tried doing what you said and going to Yahoo to create an e-mail address with the old name and it keeps telling me that the ID is not available.

Sorry this didn't help.

Then sadly is hasn't been deleted but locked. The only other thing I could suggest is connecting support support.xbox.com/.../call-us.aspx and seeing if they can reset the email.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've called Xbox, at 1-800-4MY-XBOX and asked them this exact question, they claim you need to call them. Not talk to an Ambassador, not chat with an agent, but call them. There are more ways to identify yourself as the owner of an account then just the email and password. If all else fails, you can call your bank or credit card company and make a new card, but try calling them first. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

CLICK contact customer service on the accounts.live.com

and fill out the form

this has to include an uptodate contact email

you should be keeping your info upoto date

Sorry this didn't help.