Forcing me to buy Xbox Brand Wireless Adapter?

Recently I have needed to go from my direct connection to a wireless one (which is no problem, we just upgraded to the fastest internet Comcast has to offer). I grab a wireless adapter that I once used when the Xbox 360 first came out (yeah it's an old adapter but like I said, super fast internet). When trying to connect it fails, "oh poo, lets find out what it says I need to do." When I go to test connection it comes up with a screen with two panels, one for Wired Connection and one for Wireless Connection. I go to select the Wireless Connection tab and a screen popped up saying "Please connect your Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter." So am I to understand I can't even troubleshoot my connection without going out and having to be forced to buy a new 70 adapter or is there some other problem I am not understanding. Any insight to my problem would be great. Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

What adapter are you trying to use? If it isn't the xbox brand one then it either doesn't work or if it's one that uses ethernet then it has to be configured on a computer first. Most third party adapters don't recognize on the console because their software requires a computer to configure it to your network.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well I have used this adapter before. Yes, it is a bit old, but it is a Linksys Wireless Gaming Adapter. All I have had to do is select a working channel. But even then I was able to test my connection. I can't even test my connection with this newer 360 dashboard.

Sorry this didn't help.

The new dashboard works with adapters that are made by microsoft, does your adapter plug in via ethernet or USB?

Like I said before, if it plugs in with ethernet then it will have to be configured on a computer before the xbox reads it, and also when it uses ethernet you will have to select wired connection on the console to run a test on that.

Sorry this didn't help.