Finding Account Recovery Impossible, please help.

This is a rather long story so please bear with me. I have an Xbox Live Gold account which I can access and have no problems with.

My 2 children also each have Xbox live free account which we use all the time (stored on our Xbox). I am the Parent account for these and have to authorise friend requests and accept the new T&C's etc. Since setting these accounts up around 2.5 years ago I have never once needed the password. I've now realised that I can't remember the password, and to make things worse I can't remember the "Famous Person from History"; now at the time I remember thinking this is a stupid question why can't I have something like Pets name etc. However I figured I could always use the Password Reset by email function, which is where my problem begins. The ISP that their email accounts were with closed late 2010 after being taken over by SKY, and the email addresses are no longer valid.

This leaves me with a dilema, I need to update their email addresses, but I can't reset their password by the normal channels. Because I can't remember the famous person and the email address is now dead. (I know what the email address was, I know the childrens real names, and GamerTag's, I'm also pretty sure I put their Date of Births on there but that doesn't help). Like I say I have the accounts on my Xbox and I can use them, I just can't seem to have them reset. The WLID support page asks questions like "who have you sent an email to recently" or "subject line of a recent email". they have never been used for messenger / email or anything like that so these are all useless questions. they have only ever been used on the XBox but it doesn't ask for their GamerTag, my parent ID or anything?

As the Parent account (and the one who has to accept the updated T&C's) how can I get their account reset so I can update their email addresses?

I realise I can set them up a new GamerTag and start again, but they loose all their game achievements and XP points, and have to re-invite all their friends. It seems ridiculous that as I am the parent and our accounts are obviously linked because I get notifications and have to accept / authorise friend reqiests, I cannot have them reset.

Please can someone help me, I've been trying to get this sorted out for about 4 months and am slowly losing the will to live.

Kind Regards

Kevin

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

You can ignore the questions about emails, especially since it was through another email service. The process doesn't seem to have been updated since the process was changed allowing you to use a different email service.

A more tech savvy option is to actually try opening the email service by buying the domain name (godaddy sells them for $10 a year - we have a couple in my household) and opening the email service.

Other than that, you're only avenue is going to be through the customer support options in the password reset. :/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Already considered the domain but its still owned by the company that bought them out .. http://ukonline.co.uk/ :(

Sorry this didn't help.

you need to use the password reset proccess at windowslivehelp.com and use customer service in which you have to fill out questions about the account

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried contacting the company that bought them out? If you thought of buying the domain, maybe. But sometimes reps can be helpful with retrieving email information.

Sorry this didn't help.

The customer help at windows live help does allow you to set a different contact email as long as you fulfill the requirements of validation

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I have tried the Windows Live Help (about 7 times) it does ask for a 2nd contact, however after filling in the form (of which only about 5 boxes are relevant) I get an email saying....

"Unfortunately, we could not verify the Windows Live account ownership using the information you provided for the account *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Your account recovery request with issue number 24270016 has been closed."

I am asuming this is because they ask lots of stupid questions that are nothing to do with Xbox live which is the only place I have ever used the account.

* Previously Used Passwords #FAIL (If I knew this I wouldn't need a password reset right?)

* Hotmail Information #FAIL

* Billing Information #FAIL (FREE ACCOUNT)

I've tried phoning them, but get told they cannot do resets over the phone and redirect me to the web page which asks the non relevant info. If they asked .. Gamer Tag, recently played games, recently added friends, xbox serial number, pretty much anything I know I could tell them. Just not the current password or the favourite person from history!

Kevin

Sorry this didn't help.

You must fill out as much info as possible I can tell you 5 is not enough

If you put random info then it's impossible

You must match the Name

Address

Email Contact

Phong number

Original ISP

Etc etc

Friends list info and achieviements will help

Either way you must meet their requirements

You do not need to add billing info however address and contact info should always be filled out

They have strict requirements and privacy policies that are required by law that you have to meet

They cannot reset it without meeting those requirements

Sorry this didn't help.