FIFA-loving hackers accessing users' Xbox Live accounts to buy DLC.

We've begun hearing reports that Xbox Live users are finding their accounts accessed without their permission, with the hackers using the ill-gotten accounts to purchase Premium Gold Pack DLC for FIFA 12, and other FIFAcontent. Ars Technica has gathered a few user reports, including one from a victim who found his or her account used to buy over $100 in Microsoft Points, which were then applied to the full game of FIFA 12 and DLC.

We contacted Microsoft to see if it's aware of this rash of hacks. The publisher sent Joystiq a statement saying "We do not have any evidence the Xbox LIVE service has been compromised," and indicating that these unauthorized logins have only occurred for "a limited number of members," with whom MS is working directly. The full statement is after the break.

Here's an update on Microsoft's statement: - "We do not have any evidence the Xbox LIVE service has been compromised. We take the security of our service seriously and work on an ongoing basis to improve it against evolving threats. However, a limited number of members have contacted us regarding unauthorized access to their accounts by outside individuals. We are working with our impacted members directly to resolve any unauthorized changes to their accounts. As always, we highly recommend our members follow the Xbox LIVE Account Security guidance provided at http://www.xbox.com/security to protect your account."

Source: - Clicky!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I reckon it's just select members going onto websites looking for free gold packs or UT coins and then getting scammed. Just too scared to admit to being so stupid.

people buying coins are all over ebay and youtube,probably most of these are giving out account info that they shouldn`t be.

A guy at work said he got an fake email the other day made to look like an official Microsoft one stating that they'd awarded him 400MS points totally free. They normally just add them to your account in my experience ... but with this email they actually asked him to click a link and SIGN IN at the site he was directed to if he wanted to claim them (obviously with all the relevant details they'd need to rip him off)

Upon closer inspection he noticed the website address wasn't actually worded correctly but at a glance you probably wouldn't notice it. Needless to say he didn't fall for it but I think he only had a hundred points to his name anyway if he had. Being as MS do actually seem to be currently throwing the odd free 400MS out and about it's perfect cover for some unscrupulous phishers to try such an operation and i'm sure a few will fall for it.

Just be extra vigilant if you receive one of these emails

what like this email I got that was genuine

[View:http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x296/cyrixtvirus/blah/Untitled-1.jpg]

upon clicking the link it bought me to xbox.com where i was already signed in and the redeem code was already in the box

It's phishing scams, nothing more, nothing less.

It was probably something like that Viral but he said it wasn't the veri-signed xbox.com site. The fact you just copied and pasted it yourself just shows how easy it is to do ;)

Well there are rumours of EA being hacked and as EA games use EA accounts and not many people will have had the sense not to use the same passwords for both then they've been getting hit like this.

Lol, this game is a magnet for kids and cheats.

400 msp for renewing ur live sub well I do this every 3 months and have been for 2 years now and am yet to recieve a free gift from them would be nice like. Do they just randomly pick certain gamer tags to recieve these or Wat ?