FIFA 2012 Hack

I have just been a victim of the so-called "FIFA 2012 Hack". Someone accessed my console and spent all my MS Points on FIFA 2012 consumables, a game I do not even own not have I ever played (even though it now shows in my account activity). I have been lucky they did not used my credit card to purchase more points. A reluctant yet kind customer support representative opened a hacking report ticket on my account. I hope it'll bear fruits.

Some things bug me though.

1. Since noticing the incident, I have browsed the internet looking for answers. It seems this problem is getting pretty wide-spread. Googling "FIFA 2012 hack" will reference hundreds of links to forums and other internet pages, even serious gaming and computing resources like ARS Technicha and Joystiq, but neither Microsoft nor EA seems to acknowledge the problem, instead saying customers may have got dragged in some email phising scam. I know most people will try and defend themselves against these claims, and I have no means to prove I have not been the victim of such scam, but I have been an avid internet user for a very long time now, and I know how to be careful of such things.

2. A lot of people are reporting their issues are still not resolved, even after months of waiting. Does Microsoft have an official policy on this? I have been an XBL customer for almost 4 years now, and I have spent a fair amount of money on subscriptions and consumables. I do not know if I am legally entitled to anything, and frankly I don't care much. At the very least I'd expect a "We're sorry, we know it's not your fault" type of message.

3. After logging in to my account, I have noticed someone knew had been added to my friends list. I did not thought much of it at first (I still hadn't realized I had been scammed), so I did not wrote down this account's name. I should have. Is there a way to see people who've previously been on your friends' list? I could at least file a complain about this player, and maybe save someone else the hassles I'm going through right now.

I don't know if I'm expecting anything out of this. Has anybody had this type of issue resolved in the past? I guess I'm just waiting with no news from Microsoft and it's bugging me a bit, not knowing what's happening, and having been a "good" customer for so long.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Also, it seems I cannot play offline games like Mass Effect 2. When I try to play any game, I get logged out (I suppose because my account is under investigation, which would seem normal). This makes my saved games unaccessible. I tried disconnecting the ethernet cable, but then DLC becomes unavailable and I cannot load my saved games anyway. I suppose there is no workaround? Phone support rep couldn't seem to provide information on this.

I am just trying to get some insight here, thanks anyone.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1.  MS is indeed aware of the issue, you'd be crazy to think they haven't noticed all the reports of stolen accounts.  However, they  are going to have no idea how people are having information stolen if the leak isn't on their end.  And considering the amount of time and money they lose in all this, if the leak WAS on their end, they would have fixed it by now.  Consider this, when an account is stolen and points are bought/used, those typically get refunded to the customer, yet EA still gets their profit from it (do a search about how much their sale of digital Fifa items have gone up over the course of one year).  So if the customers are re-imbursed, and EA still gets their money, where is the money coming from?  Take a guess.

2.  The only people waiting months are people with accounts migrated back from pre-November when they removed the ability to migrate accounts or people who can't validate the information on their own account.  Getting a migrated account back takes a long time due to all the difference in country laws.  You don't just press a magic button like people think, it requires a lot of work.  Furthermore, the average time as of now for stolen accounts is down to 3 days.  Lastly, saying, "it's not your fault" would be an extremely poor decision.  In most cases, it is going to be the owner of the accounts fault, whether they have an easy to guess secret question, have an open profile on facebook (so your personal info can be stolen easily), an easy to guess password, fell for a phishing scam, used the same email and pass for multiple websites, have malware on their pc, the list goes on.  Saying, "it's not your fault" not is not only irresponsible because people will think they did nothing wrong, but many people will assume that's an admission of guilt from MS that it's their fault.

3.  Your account was most likely stolen for the purpose of being sold to an unsuspecting person, unaware that the account was stolen.  This other account is most likely irrelevant, as the the thief is probably not dumb enough to actually leave a trail of breadcrumbs for you to follow so easily.

Sorry this didn't help.

The answer your other post, the only way to access saves when an account has been stolen is by going into offline mode and logging into the account.  If you can't use your DLC, then your console lacks the console licenses to play offline.  You'd have to wait until you get the account back and do a license transfer, because for whatever reason you didn't do one before when you get this console.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks on the insight!

Indeed, I have no way to prove I did not fell for a scam or whatever, I merely mentioned it because, you know I had to. An investigation is underway anyway, and I have since spoken with another Microsoft rep over the phone.

However, I am pleased to hear Microsoft is aware of this issue and it's getting taken care of right now. I just went in panic mode yesterday after realizing this, and I wasn't reassured by what most people were posting elsewhere.

As for the saved games / DLC thing, you're saying I should be able to use this DLC offline? Is there something specific about EA DLC? It's saying it's corrupted and needs to be downloaded again. Anyway, if this investigation is gonna take 3-5 days, I might as well just wait for the whole thing to get fully resolved!

Sorry this didn't help.

Could be that EA DLC needs to verify itself online before it plays ball. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow, everything's been settled in 3 days. Points and credit card transactions refunded in full. I gotta say MS seems to be taking this issue a lot more seriously than what the internet makes it seem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Luck you...I'm on month 3 waiting for this to be resolved.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, dorkatr0n! Very sorry to hear that you are still waiting for a resolution for your issue. Can you do me a favor and create a new thread detailing out your situation including any error messages you may be seeing and the troubleshooting steps you have taken thus far? This will enable us to provide you with the very best support possible for your specific issue. Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.

Ha,Im waiting even longer!!!!!!

They refunded my account at first, but they did with promotional points that expire. So, of course they expired, I contact them again, and still no resolution!

The amount of time both I and Xbox agents have wasted is ridiculous.

I guess Microsft wins here, Ill just get ripped off, because Im not trying to call again.

Never buying any again though.

They wont fix their mistakes!

Ive dealt with situations that dealt with much more money at stake, that were dealt with in a fraction of the amount of time

Ive wasted here.

What a joke.

Sorry this didn't help.