Feeling cheated

Dear xBox Technical Support Team,

I received and xBox 360 Black Elite system a few years ago as a Christmas present.  The unit was brand new out of the box.  Sometime last year I had a problem with my system and mailed it in to you guys for repair.  Sometime last year I had an issue with the red rings and mailed my xBox 360 in for support.  The unit was returned to me and I was told that the hard drive had been replaced.  Outside of losing a few save games there was no further issue.  Sometime later I had a problem with the power adapter and received a new unit in the mail.

I have stopped using my unit to play video games for more then a year now.  I strictly use it as my sole source of television through the Netflix and now Hulu services.  I have updated every time it was available.  Today, May-19-2011, I started downloading your new update and left the room as my xBox downloaded.  When I returned the screen had a large white box with a black frame around it.  The black frame said:  "System Update Failed," and the large white box said:  "Can't update your console.  Please visit www.xbox.com/support.

Status Code:  3151-335A-B380-0402-C000-0001

I restarted my xBox and that process repeated itself.  The system would say that it would load the new update and get about 1/5th the way through before freezing.  At which point the same white box and black framed screen appeared.  I called your tech support and explained the issue.  At which point, I was told that I had modded my console or done something illegal to alter it in some way and voided its use.  Your tech support was quite adamant about this and implied I was a liar when I had said I have never done any such thing.  "I have never modded, opened, or done any other sort of technical things to my xBox unit."  The fact that someone would accuse me of such a thing when I'm already frustrated about being unable to use my system is extremely disheartening.  I really do not know what to do at this time.  

I have since that time spoken with more reasonable and less rude tech support; however, all of which have told me that they can not simply send me a mailer to send the unit in to be inspected.  I am positive that under any inspection you will see the unit has never been modded.  The only thing I can imagine could have happened is that this is a result from the initial repair I sent the unit in for last time.  I truly feel helpless about the situation at this time.  The xBox though I do not play games on it is the sole source of television in our household and dvd player.  It feels the same way as if someone had hit my car and drove off.  Clearly I will never go so far as to take you to small claims court.  As of right now my $400 xBox, many games, Netflix subscription, xBox live subscription, and Hulu subscription are all completely worthless.  To add insult to injury I'm being told this is somehow my fault.  Again, I have never done any "modding," pirated software use, or physical changes to my xBox.  I am simply a customer that has been cheated out of their money, and if someone would actually take a look at my unit they would see that.

Feeling cheated,

xBox Customer

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 24 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

To be 100% clear, if you have not tampered with your console at any point, or ever had an unauthorized third-party repair, I recommend calling/continuing to work with phone support (at 800-4MY-XBOX).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

For anyone talking about a lawsuit, that is a little overboard right now. Microsoft simply needs to be aware of the numbers of people seeing a problem. People need to call the tech support number so that Microsoft becomes aware of the issue and can start getting a grasp on what systems are no longer working. They will need to find common ground leading to the problems to identify the issues and work toward a resolution. Myself, I have put my Xbox away and canceled my Xbox Live till something is resolved. For people who want to have their Xbox available sooner and can afford it, send it for repair. As long as your call to tech support is documented and reflects the same issues, I am sure that when this is acknowledged by Microsoft as an update issue, there will be a refund. I have however begun contacting various tech news outlets because there is more to this. Microsoft employees have declared to customers that there are no problems with the update. People need to be aware to confirm full working order of their system before the update, maybe even have tech support on the phone when installing the update. That way it can be confirmed before the update that everything is working and then after the update, if there is an error, they will be aware that it was during the update. The other option is for all of us with a failed Xbox to call support once or twice a day to see if there is any change in what is happening. Microsoft has made good on update related problems before, they do need time to work on the resolution. During that time it would be great if Microsoft employees would stop insisting there is no problem. Because when Microsoft acknowledges the issues exist, these employees become liars and have purposely misled customers.

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem except i have got mine repaired due to the warrenty being out dated but it worked perfectly fine until the update came along. sue worthy?

Sorry this didn't help.

Been stuck with Status Code 3151-335A-B380-C000-0022 for a week now.  Have spoken with support 5+ times now and the last 3 time have been about my serial number and that they were sending me on to the escilation support team that I should hear back from in 24 - 48 hours.   If I must send in my system for repair it could be 5 weeks before I get it back.

What i want to know is this was not done as an error on my part but as an error from a update that MS required me to do.  So the question is why am I the person that is taking the hit, no functional system paying for subscriptions I cant use.   Who is going to cover my losses?  Let alson get my system running again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, absolutely certain.  In fact, the tech service people were able to see it in the history when I spoke to them over the phone.  I'm pretty sure it was warranty covered work as well.  Update:  It has been 24 hours, I was told that I would be getting a response and still have not received any response.  The problem is still the same.  Nothing has been resolved and I feel as if Microsoft will continue to do nothing, as I am only one individual customer.

Feeling cheated,

xBox Customer

Sorry this didn't help.

if you ever wanted to destroy an xbox? and you have this code now is your chance to blow the sh!t out of it

Sorry this didn't help.

sue worthy? need legal actions? lets do it!

Sorry this didn't help.

The same thing happened to me. The lady I talked to kept insisting I had modified my console. She then referred me to a "higher level" of customer service and I got this email from them today:

Thank you for the patience! As we are unable to contact you over the phone due to call restrictions, we are now sending you this email to inform you that as for the moment, we are already working towards a resolution for the issue with your console in your behalf.

Please be assured that we will do what we can to resolve the issue for you.

SERVICE REQUEST NUMBER:  1155092356

Thank you for supporting XBOX and have a good day!

Kind Regards,

Robert C. Lajom

CVG XBOX CC Escalations

San Lazaro

So we'll see what happens. I am really disappointed that I was accused of being a "modder." I will pursue some sort of action if this doesn't get resolved.

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe my console was set to sign in at start up, as I would usually be signed in when I turned on the xBox.  It has been 48 hours and I have received no call from tech support as promised.

Feel cheated

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeap, apparently Microsoft doesn't warranty their repairs for any decent length of time.  I had the RROD last year (year two of having the console)  it's now 13 months later and the replaced/refurbished console I find out doesn't carry any additional warranty for RROD.  Which is the dumbest thing I've every heard.  So basically they sent me a faulty xbox for a faulty xbox and are now cleaning their hands of it.  I'm not demanding money or anything absurd all I want is for them to properly fix the console I paid for and for it to work for longer then 1-2 years.  Very poor customer service in my book.  I would suggest to everyone with similar issues, file a complaint with the BBB and your state attorney general.  It's not right that they keep selling and replacing faulty products with faulty products.

Sorry this didn't help.