Faulty Day One Controller - Terrible Support

My Day One Controller is faulty. The LB button is not responsive and the "X" button sticks in until you squeeze the top of the controller together.

I contacted support who whilst friendly were not in the slightest bit helpful. I think it's outrageous that:

a) On a brand new product we should cover the return costs

b) Turn around can apparently be unto 3 weeks. That's 3 weeks effectively with an unusable console.

When what you should be doing is:

a) Sending a replacement immediately a long with a free return postage label.

b) Taking CC/DD details incase return accessory is not sent so customer can be charged.

I tried my retailer who had no more stock and would of had to replace the whole console if/when they do get more so could only offer me a full refund. I have to say unless support buck up and start treating customers with faulty products more respectfully I will be taking a refund and switching to another console platform. I expect a much better service from MS.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hey WKD5!

-

Sorry you're experience hassles with your Day 1 Controller.  I don't know the full status of Microsoft's RMA/Exchange program but I do know on the console itself, they do offer advance replacement exchanges but not sure on the controllers, especially day one controllers where there is simply limited stock/supply to begin with and they may be doing actual refurbishment/rebuilds.

-

I have a Microsoft store nearby, I would probably seek out their help to get a replacement / exchange and if that isn't available, i'd probably just buy another controller and work out the exchange with Microsoft.  Not the best solution, but it will keep you gaming and a 2nd controller is never a bad thing :)

-

Game on!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I don't know why everyone with an issue like this keeps talking about switching to another console - this is pretty standard business practice and you aren't likely to find any better options with another console.  

Don't want to pay shipping, you need to go back to the store and swap out the whole unit.  If you don't want to do that, you have to pay shipping.  Simple as that.  You do have options.  And as blahism said, if you have a Microsoft store nearby, try that.  They might be able to just swap out the controller for you.  Maybe the retailer would too if you are ok swapping for a regular controller?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to agree the way they are handling these controller and other pack in items is pretty nuts.

These should be advance exchanges with paid return shipping they have had my day one controller at their service center since 12/11 and status hasn't changed at all.

Sorry this didn't help.

@blahism

Thanks for the suggestion however I'm the only person who uses my X1 so buying a second controller is a waste of money. I'm also not aware of any MS stores in the UK and any searches certainly didn't turn up anything nearby where I live.

@Maytrix

Thanks for the reply even though it is somewhat condescending, those "options" on a new & expensive item are not satisfactory.

Whilst you suggest paying to return a faulty product is standard practice I assure you it is not. Or maybe I have been spoilt by excellent customer service from companies like Logitech, Apple, Amazon, Lezyne etc.

The retailer does not have stock so can offer either:

a) Priority on a replacement (would not be day one & involves waiting for stock)

b) A full refund

The option MS give is sending back the controller from the UK to the Czech Republic at a cost to myself and then waiting for a replacement to be sent.

There simply is no good reason they cannot offer advanced replacements even if the option was given to receive a non day one controller.

As if it isn't frustrating enough to pay £429+ for a new console only to receive a faulty product t& hen be expected to pay to return it.

The way MS are handling accessory returns needs to be rethought as it does more harm than good to inconvenient their paying customers in this manner.

Sorry this didn't help.

Its a good idea to state where you're talking about when you report issues.  :)  Without knowing, we just assume you're in the states where we have awesome support, local stores in many cities and pretty good turnaround.

-

I would definitely call back and ask for a supervisor to approve an advanced replacement on the controller if you don't want to buy one to hold you over .. (and return it if you feel like not keeping it..)

Sorry this didn't help.