Faulty but working Xbox? Help!

Over the past several months, I've had many overheating problems with my Xbox. It has recently become a huge issue, but I refuse to send it in because it's out of warrenty and I'm getting a new one for christmas. I have tried every solution: Compressed air in vents, desktop fan blowing on it, moving it different places, installing disk to drive, but they work temporarily then it comes back. The can of compressed air worked for the first couple of times and it temporarily helped.

2 days ago, I tried the compressed air again along with vacuuming the fans as best I could. Every since then I play my xbox and it runs VERY quietly. Quieter than I've ever heard it run. I turn it on and it has always been very quiet, now it never gets louder than that, and I have had no overheating problems since even after playing 8 hours nonstop. I'm concerned that somehow the air messed up the system because it's been running weird? an anyone help?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

it sounds like you fixed the problem... how exactly is it running weird?  It sounds like you have go tit running quieter and not overheating so what exactly is the problem you are having now?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sometimes when i turn it on it sounds like the fans are catching quickly onto something too. And it has been getting extremely hot in my room the past 2 days. Even when it overheated it didn't put out this much heat.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="AidedHawk49"]And it has been getting extremely hot in my room the past 2 days. Even when it overheated it didn't put out this much heat.[/quote]Seems like you fixed whatever the problem was with the fan/fans by cleaning it with the vacuum and air can. The exhaust on the console should be hot, and the older the console the more hot air it's going to exhaust. What model of 360 is it, an original or a 360 S? If an original, what year was it purchased?

Sorry this didn't help.

could be your heat sink is going out that would require you opening up your box which is not a good thing to do unless a certified tech is doing the procedure,it also will void the warranty of your box, but you stated the warranty is no longer in affect. if you open your xbox though a technician will not repair your box because its been tampered with it only cost around $30 dollars to repair and there is nothing wrong with having a backup xbox just in case of an emergency.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="EMARJAYE 1"]it only cost around $30 dollars to repair and there is nothing wrong with having a backup xbox just in case of an emergency.[/quote]Hmm? I don't believe repair costs from Microsoft have gone down. It's still $99, but as it stands it does not sound like there's anything wrong with his 360 at this time.

Note that there is only authorized repair entity for 360 consoles. That's Microsoft itself. There are no third party repair services.

Sorry this didn't help.

Over the last few days my Xbox has been freezing very often and then jumping forward. Do you know what is wrong with it?

Sorry this didn't help.

This particular console ad far as I know is atleast 3 years old. Microsoft sent it to me as a new console after my other one got RROD. When I got it i became a complete nolife. I put 80 total days played on my mw2 stats. I don't play it much anymore, but I have spent alot more time on it than an average 3 year old console I can guarantee that.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm glad your problem is resolved sounds like the fans are fixed and all is well.

Sorry this didn't help.