Fans run at full speed, even while on the dashboard

Xbox 360 Pro 20 GB (Replacement from Microsoft after RRoD)

Within a minute of startup the rear exhaust fans on my 360 rev up to full speed, even at the dashboard.  This makes streaming media and Netflix quite unpleasant.  I don't really mind it during games, because the optical drive is loud anyways.

In case you were wondering, the Xbox is in a well ventilated area, standing up away from other objects.  The console is sealed and has never been opened.  It has never been dropped or mistreated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 42 Applies to:

I believe this is not an error, old pro consoles are known to be pretty loud in almost every case except for running a DVD in the optical drive in which case the console usually goes into a low power mode or something of the like. The only way to remedy your situation is to upgrade to the S which is significantly quieter then the old white consoles.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

No, my console ran much quieter in the past.  This level of noise only used to happen when I was playing a game on for more than an hour.  Now it gets this loud (louder than my window fan on high!) as soon as it starts, even during DVD playback, even with no disk.  It's either a hardware or software problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this a sudden change? Or a gradual change? As the older consoles age, the fans can tend to get a bit more noisy, especially if they've been used a lot; not unlike an older PC's fans.

Sorry this didn't help.