Fans go quiet, then disk unreadable error.

Hi guys, I'm having a really fraustrating issue with my Xbox right now.

So a month or two ago I had a Slim, and I was playing COD Ghosts when I accidentally knocked the box (it was standing horizontal) and got a disk unreadable error after. From there, my xbox was not able to play ANY of my games. I would be able to get past the start screen, but then the noise from the Xbox would stop, and a second or two later I'd get a disk unreadable error. I noticed there was a laser burn on the CoD disk too.

So I bought a second hand Xbox Elite for myself as well as a different copy of CoD: Ghosts. When I go to try it, I got exactly the same problem. I can get about half a minute of gameplay this time and that's the only difference.

All my other games work perfectly fine with it. I've removed the hard drive and used a USB for storage instead, yet the problem persists.

I'm really confused here, can someone help me out?

Cheers.

Lewis

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Sorry to hear it.  When the console is standing on end and is moved it will burn a circle scratch into the game disc that is in it.  What you can try if the game will not play is to install it to your hard drive.  If you can install the game (from any disc) to the drive you should be able to use the scratched disc to play it.

As for the second console having the same issue, this is something that comes with the territory of being used.  You don't know the history of the console when you purchase it.  The reason a console was sold could have been because it was breaking down and the person wanted to get money for it for a new one.

Unfortunately the older FAT consoles are no longer being repaired by Xbox due to their age so I would recommend returning the used one for a newer Slim model.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It's not the fans that you hear it's the disc drive. In any case it sounds like your drive is damaged if it can't read any discs. I would recommend getting a laser cleaner and seeing if that works. If not, your best bet is to sell your consoles.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.