Family Subscriptions and Child account status

So I really love the new family subscriptions for XBL but I do have a few things that I don't care for. One is the fact that you can only switch who is on it so many times. We did not know this and so when my brother bought it we were experimenting and adding some of our old accounts to see how it worked and ended up not being able to add my cousin on. I understand why this is there but I feel like there should be more information about it, say in big bold letters so people who don't care to read the fine print know.

Another thing is I have been really frustrated with the child account status since I am not the main account in the "family." seeing as I wanted to buy some points for myself the other day and today wanted to download a demo of a game i was thinking of buying and could not. It seems wrong that I can go out and buy myself beer but I can't buy an M game directly from my xbox? I think there should be a way to have an adult account but still be under the one "main" account in respects to the family settings. I don't know if many others see this as a problem too but I just can't see a lot of parents buying live for their underage kids. There must be some but all I know is our family account is used by my family but none of us is under 18.

Just some thoughts from TheFormalGhost

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

The family pack was designed for families of 4 with younger children who aren't old enough to buy rated M content. Sounds like you're best off just sticking with a regular gold membership.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Although you cannot buy points directly from the dashboard if you are not the primary account holder you can use points cards and enter the code under your own GT.

You can also create a new silver account for downloading M rated demos.

I think after a couple of weeks (10 days?) you can add someone you dropped from the plan.

The whole adult/child thing is a little odd with your average family being two adults and two children, but the issues are major compared with spending another $50-$100.

Sorry this didn't help.

I completely agree. I was just about to buy a family plan but since my husband, and my 18 yr old son and 19 yr old daughter have to become child accounts (when they have been adult accounts for 6 yrs now) I have changed my mind to not buy a family plan. We have four xboxes in our home so everyone has their own xbox because nobody wants to share. When xbox lets the family plan be 4 adults, thats when i'll buy it!

Sorry this didn't help.

Is it a viable option if you've got family members that you want to have Gold for only a few features, like Video Kinect. I love talking to my father in another state, so I threw him on my family plan so we can share experiences like Netflix, etc. =)

Sorry this didn't help.