family plan multiple consoles

I'm at college and I just got myself a new xbox. My brother is at home and has an xbox there where he has his own xbox live account.  I want to set up my xbox live account but I am unclear about some things. First of all, I want to set up the family plan but I want to do this by upgrading my brother's account as he already has a gold membership.  I know this is possible, however he cannot get into his windows live account.  Apparently he forgot the password to the windows live sign in and also the email account associated with it. Is there a way that microsoft could somehow reset it for him so he can log in? In the meantime, I would like to get my own account set up but I have read that if one is going to be using the family plan, the xbox live gamertags must first be registered to one common console, but then the gamertags can be "recovered" to another console. I want to know if I have to wait for my brother's account to get sorted out before I can make mine. Is it possible to add a preexisting xbox live account to a pamily plan if they are not originally on the same console? Also, if that is not possible, how does one recover their gamertag to another console?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

I don't have a good answer for you as to getting back into you brothers account. Whoever set the account up (adult that is) may have to call support to work out his WLID problem.  I do have a link to help you out with some of the Family Plan questions. www.xbox.com/.../FamilyPackFAQ

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Phone support can't help with WLID. If he doesn't know the information, the last option is with the password reset - choose customer support. That gets you in touch with the Windows Live support. They're the only ones who can help get a password reset.

You can make your profile before his gets sorted out. If he's going to be the primary account holder, he'll recover your profile, add you to the family pack and then you can recover it back.

To recover an account, you want to go to My Xbox, choose sign in (or if you're signed in, select your avatar and then go to switch profile), all the way to the right and recover gamertag. You need the WLID and password to do this.

The primary account holder will also need their password to add anyone to the pack.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.