Family pack is expiring...what happens next???

I only have one month left on my Family pack subscription and I heard that it was being discontinued (from a third party -- Polygon).  I went in to see if I could set auto-renewal and I could not (because it evidently is truly an invalid subscription).

So what is going to happen to our four accounts and what should I be prepared for...I have had ZERO communication from Microsoft so far, so I'm really scratching my head here that they are discontinuing my access to Xbox Live with no plan or update.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

just wanted to bump this and see if there is any new info? With the rumors of being able to share your gold with 4 other family members?....will those of us that have the family plan and auto renew set to ON get the 59.99 deal or still have to pay 99.99?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I just got off the phone with support and I asked what happens to the family plan I'm currently on when the plan is no longer available. She told me that anyone that is currently on the family plan and has the auto renewal set to ON, then you're good to go. The plan will NOT go away for you. For any reason, you set the auto renew to OFF and then the plan expires, then NO you cannot continue with the family plan. Pretty much if you are in the plan and set to auto renew to ON, you're grandfathered in with the plan. Anyone else new or current to Live and want to get the family plan will not be able to.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am unable to set auto-renew.  It continues to say no subscription plan for this region (both via Xbox.com and on the console).  I assume that it would renew had auto-renew been on before the plan was discontinued.

That said, I found a different solution:  you can remove a family member, add a Xbox live sub card, wait 7 days and then re-add them to the family.  In doing this, it cuts the added subscription time in half, but that's certainly reasonable as it covers four people.

I added a 12 month and 3 month card...that will cover us for the next 8 months.  I found this in the Xbox family pack FAQs.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Xbox Dude,

That is correct. The Gold Family Pack has been discontinued, but for members with active family subscriptions, auto renew can be set up and it will continue.

Hope that helps! Cheers.

Sorry this didn't help.

My family pack auto renewed just a few weeks ago even though they discontinued the family pack. Interesting.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, just chatted with support and they are saying that a new subscription option (they indicated that it may be better than the family pack) is being worked on.  I won't read too much into that, but I have a month left, so I will wait a week or two to see what the new option is.  Hopefully it will be a decent replacement.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got the notice of expiration this morning.  I went to the suggested extendmembership site and it replied that no subscription is available in my region.

Xbox said I'm expiring too.  Brought me to an auto-renewal screen and had an option for modify membership.  When I clicked it, the option turned grey and nothing happened.

I guess I need to call, but I'm just shocked and amazed that Microsoft seems to have not had a plan for what was going to happen next at all.  Giving me no options for renewal is not exactly customer friendly.

Sorry this didn't help.

There are contradictions on whether or not the subscription can renew. You can talk to Live/Billing and see about removing the auto cancellation. No guarantee about what happens at that point though.

That's where I'm at with my own subscription. I have about 6 months lee way though.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the answers.  Yes unfortunately, had I understood that it might be cancelled I would have added time.  I tried to do that this morning, but it appears to be possible at this point.  I have seen some good sales, though usually the best I've seen is about $35/year...meaning $40 I didn't expect!

Sorry this didn't help.

or wait for PAX or e3 which is right around the corner to see if major nelson has anything planed

check his blog fyi

you could've added time before the plan was discontinued

you can add upto 3 years

Sorry this didn't help.