Family Pack - allow access to certain Indie Games

I would like to be able to allow members of my Family Pack access to certain Indie Games without having to enter a password.  Every.  Single.  Time.  It seems that Indie Games cannot be added to the exceptions list.  I have unblocked unrated content, but it still does not allow the Indie Games to work.  It seems that I have to allow all game ratings in order for an Indie Game to play (without the need to enter a password.)  Please help.  There has to be a better way.  The only choices I have found so far are to enter a password every time OR have the console wide open to allow ALL unrated content and all game ratings (which I do not want to do, b/c it circumvents the whole point of parental controls.)  Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 20 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey FloriDUH JBot! Can you tell us what occurs when you try to play these certain indie games? Also, certain titles are region specific so this could be affecting play as well. Can you provide me examples of the games you're trying to play? This will help us look further into this for you! :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry for the delay, but thanks for the response.  I was out-of-town.  Don't know why, but I'm not receiving emails when someone replies to my post.  Anyway, games are Avatar Deathmatch, Laser Wars and Fortress Wars from Indie market.  If I set games allowed to E10 and under (but allow unrated content) the games still require a password to play.  And there is no option to add these Indie games to the exceptions list.

Sorry this didn't help.

Once I set allowed games to all, the Indie games listed will play without a password.  But it allows access to teen and mature games on the console with no password required.  Since my 8 y/o often bounces back and forth between these three Indie games, entering a password for him each time he wants to change games is kind of a pain.  But leaving the console wide open for him to boot up an inappropriate game is also a dealbreaker.

Sorry this didn't help.

hmm, probably the games have the wrong age set in their record

Sorry this didn't help.

Bumping ;-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I would have to say the problem is that the games aren't properly setup rating wise. So what you could do is setup a really easy password (ie: YYYY) or something that way its easy to enter it when he wants to change game.

Sorry this didn't help.

Miss Kleo ... any update?

Sorry this didn't help.

Link: create.msdn.com/.../xbox_live_indie_games

Will parental controls affect access to my Indie Game?

Yes. All Xbox LIVE Indie Games are considered unrated. Unrated is the highest level of restriction on the Xbox 360 console. Indie Games will be inaccessible on consoles with activated parental controls.

So as Indie Games are not rated, they are not able use this feature. If you were to disable the restriction on Unrated Content, that would allow this Indie Game to play without the pass code. However, this would disable many of the parental control functions.

Sorry this didn't help.

@romeo I have tried disabling the restriction on unrated content, but it still requires a password.  The only workaround is to allow all game ratings (through M) and then (and only then) will the Indie games mentioned above play without the need for a password.  Of course, pretty much any content at that point will play without a password.  This seems a bizarre loophole that would easily be solved by allowing an exemption to be added for Indie games, or some such other workaround.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey FloriDUH JBot! Apologies I didn't catch your post before the week's end, I'm afraid there isn't a current workaround for this. I double checked the settings but it is as romeoteknik mentioned and I suspected, Indie Games are unrated, therefore when parental controls are disabled all M rated content is considered lower than unrated, which you know, hence your issue. The best suggestion for this, is what DABIGESTBOB has said, to create an easy password for your son to switch between games. If you'd like to provide feedback on this feel free to post in our feedback and wishlist forum

Sorry this didn't help.