Failure to authorize disc

I just got a brand new hard drive for my Xbox 360 S after experiencing problems with my last hard drive. I was getting disc read errors for games I saved onto the hard drive and freezes. I played games from disc and did not experience the same problems, so I assumed my hard drive was to blame.

With the new hard drive, I am getting errors when playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. When I am playing on Xbox Live, I'll suddenly get an error message -- Failure to authorize disc. It usually happens during the first few minutes of a match after I start up the game. If it doesn't happen in the first match, the error does not pop up. The game is saved onto the hard drive.

Tonight, the error popped up several times. I cleared the cache, redownloaded an update, started a game, and got booted with the error. It eventually just worked. 

I looked up problems online to see if there were any solutions. One that I've read involves sending in the hard drive back to Microsoft for repairs -- but I just got this hard drive. 

Is this just a software problem that will be addressed with a patch or do I really need to send this back in?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 19 Applies to:

If you just got this HDD. Exchange it for another one from where you bought it and post back if issues still remain.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Failure to authorize disc.

I am getting errors when playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. When I am playing on Xbox Live, I'll suddenly get an error message -- Failure to authorize disc. It usually happens during the first few minutes of a match after I start up the game. If it doesn't happen in the first match, the error does not pop up. The game is saved onto the hard drive?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there SuitedAverage8!

Since this thread is a few years old, please post a new thread detailing the issue you are experiencing. That way the community can provide support tailored specifically to you! :)

Sorry this didn't help.